neverending...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neverending...

there is a sound that comes from the right side of my car and i can't figure out if its the front or rear. its a sound like "tscht-tscht-tscht-tscht" and the faster i go it goes...it doesn't happen all the time, but almost everytime right afta i start it up...any ideas?

ANYONE?!

Comment

Start the car and when it makes this sounds , drive down a side street with no traffic, look behind you make sure there are no cars. Then push in the clutch and turn the engine off with the key. Just one click back towards you to turn off, once the engine is off, does it still make the sound.

Thats the first step to eliminating an engine sound. I would bet you still hear the noise. If so, you will know its either drive train or suspension/wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by e30vert
        Start the car and when it makes this sounds , drive down a side street with no traffic, look behind you make sure there are no cars. Then push in the clutch and turn the engine off with the key. Just one click back towards you to turn off, once the engine is off, does it still make the sound.

Thats the first step to eliminating an engine sound. I would bet you still hear the noise. If so, you will know its either drive train or suspension/wheels.
        Its not the engine...i just got new wheels and tires and it did it before when i had the stock ones..and the suspension i believe is fairly new...what could it be on the drive train?? thanks in advance

Comment

I had a sound kinda like that and it went away when I replaced my pads and rotors. My pads were near metal (just metal in a few places). I don't think it is that, but check it.
          sigpic

Comment

dust shield behind rotor could be rubbing

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

it might be the dust shield, but sometimes if i hit a bump, it will go away...

Comment

could be wheel bearings but they wouldn't go away if you hit a bump... check all arround your wheels for somthing rubbing on them or the tires. and if your rolling in neutral is the noise still there?

Comment

If there is no sound when you're standing still and reving the engine, its a pretty good guess its not in your engine.

If the noise is louder when turning in the opposite direction of the sound, its likely a bearing.

If the noise continues when the car is in neutral while coasting, its in the drivetrain.

Check your flex disc, center bearing, and check for noise in your diff and tranny, assuming its not a bearing.

Also, make sure the brake baking plate isn't rubbing. This often happens after front end work since they're easily bent.

Good luck.
                  Driving is the only way to go faster....

Comment

ok thanks a lot, i will def. check the bearing because it does go away when i turn the wheel the opposite way of the sound.

Comment

ok thanks a lot, i will def. check the bearing because it does go away when i turn the wheel the opposite way of the sound.
                      Before you replace a bearing, make sure the brake backing plate isn't rubbing. This is also likely. Usually, the bearing makes a droning sound. If the sound is metalic, its more likely something rubbing.
                      Driving is the only way to go faster....

Comment

i don't see any of the splash guards rubbing, and also if the noise ISN'T there and i hit a bump, it will come back...i've been trying to tackle this problem for months....

Comment

Working...
                        X