How fubar'd is this cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fubar'd is this cam?

Its a Schrick, so I'm curious if its still in decent shape. obviously not very hope full though.

All the lobes have similar wearing to this picture, some slightly more, some less. Deepest wear is ~0.5mm at lobe peaks, but you can see where the scratching starts.

I am very sure it is fucked...but just want to be sure.
    I mean, it could be run obviously. But how off is the lift/duration going to be?

Pulled from an e21 m20b23 w/ 250k km on odo. Piston 5 was eaten by con-rod, accompanied by a hole in the cylinder wall.

The thing sat for 7 years, then PO "bought" it an drove it into the ground. I picked up the whole car for free, don't worry.

Mail that cam to Oregon Cam and have them duplicate it.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I emailed them, so we'll see how that goes.

In the mean time I need to figure out what this things specs are.

Anybody have an idea what would have been popular to put in an e21 back in the early-mid '80s? or what schrick was offering for the m20 back then?

There is a raised "933" near the cylinder 5 lobes, and a "SB3" near the cylinder 1 lobes. But schrick doesn't seem to make any m20 cam w/ a P# 933, so wtf...over to an e21 site I guess.

Edit: Schrick 272.
      Last edited by Eecen; 12-09-2010, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Is this a trick question??
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

No? Maybe its hard to see in the picture?

There is a wide groove on the peak of the cam's lobe. The rocker has worn away a good bit of material..I can easily feel the grooves banks with my finger.

Comment

ok, now that you've cleared that up, what was your question again?
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Haha that thing is fucked.

Why do you think that it's anything other than a stock cam anyways?

Pics of destroyed engine don't make me wait until I drive down there.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Hey, HEY...FUCK YOU :)

It has a SCHRICK imprint on it dude...its a schrick 272/272/111 ($500 new). Give me some credit here, I am not a complete fucking retard..I mean I did post 3 threads asking for help ID'ing the thing; then 5mins later found the P# on it..:(
                But I KNOW It isn't the stock cam.

No camera so your gina have to wait till the weekend to see the carnage. but yeah, piston 5 is gone LoL. and piston 2 is flooded.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                  ok, now that you've cleared that up, what was your question again?
                  Well my good sir, I had originally placed a query regarding the merits of the all mighty blumpkin. Ahhhh, such a magical act.

You seem too shy to post your experiences on the matter? I know you enjoy being on the giving side of the act, and that is OK. In fact its more then okay, your great at it, most people get turned off by it, but not you. Oh no, not you.

And hey, remember this is a safe place no one is judging you. No one is thinking less of you. You can speak your mind here.

Comment

umm ya, even if it was just 'really' shinny would mean it has excessive wear, and anything with marks/ groves/scraches/ pitting, is toast. get a new one
                    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                    Got Drop?? ;-)
                    Originally posted by JinormusJ
                    But of course
                    E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Yeah, figured as much..

thanks

Comment

any news from Oregon Cam yet? Those guys have done about 30 GM cams for me, they kick ass. I am sure you know how SBCs eat cams... theirs last better than any other cam I have used.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Yeah I got an email from them this morning,

Eecen,

We can copy the profile on your cam and reproduce it on a used cam. I do not have any BMW new castings. I don't know how much smaller the base circle will be without having the parts in hand to do so. Was your cam a new one or a reground cam to start with? The cost to regrind your cores to the performance grind is $99. With five or more at a time we give you a ten percent discount.

Thanks

Ken
                          I haven't replied yet.

i need to get my hands on some used m20 cams...or see if they're willing to buy some new castings, and ask what the cost increase would be.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                            any news from Oregon Cam yet? Those guys have done about 30 GM cams for me, they kick ass. I am sure you know how SBCs eat cams... theirs last better than any other cam I have used.

Are they better then Delta cams in Tacoma? Can they do regrinds on M50 cams?

Comment

Originally posted by nwvb bmw View Post
                              Are they better then Delta cams in Tacoma? Can they do regrinds on M50 cams?
                              I have no clue, but that would be good to know. They are in Vancouver WA

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                              X