Any bodywork/rear bumper experts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any bodywork/rear bumper experts here?

I recently got rear-ended in my 1990 325i. The rear bumper on one side is pushed forward about .5 to .75 inches. I've thought about trying to fix this part, at least, by myself. There's sheetmetal pushed in a lttle too, but the bumper being pushed forward is the worst looking of it.

The body shop says the absorber is squished. Does this picture show the abosrber? It doesn't look like a hydraulic shock. It looks like the rear part bolts on simply enough, although there seems to be body putty or something I'll need to put on. The front bolt doesn't quite looks like a hex, it's a weird shape.

Anyone been there, done that?

(click below for pics)

I am not familar with late body bumpers.. but to me it looks like this is the 2nd time you got rear ended, one you just did not know about.

Sold it.

Comment

Actually there are indications that a previous owner was hit. There appears to be an aftermarket taillight assembly. What told you that in the picture?

Comment

The lack of the shock is interesting but like I said maybe late models didnt have shocks, but the welding is what tipped me off. Does not look factory at all.

Sold it.

Comment

Where is the welding that looks non-factory? I can hardly see any welding, just a lot of seam filler, or whatever that stuff is. Do you mean the spot welds in the upper left corner?

Comment

Working...
          X