Help! The Beast Has Died!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! The Beast Has Died!

I have an 85' 318i with the m10 in it...still. It has been having some misfire issues lately, but today, it went unresponsive to throttle and died on me. I was able to get it into a parking lot and let it sit for awhile and tried to start it up again. And wallah! It started, and instantly died. Tried a few more times and the most it would do it start, high idle, stabilize and stall right after. I checked my AFM connections, spark plug wire connections, cap & rotor, and all seem to be good. I tried to start it up after that and it wouldn't start, only cranked for awhile. Tried again and let it crank until it started and then I could smell the fuel from the exhaust telling me I'm not getting spark. I haven't had a chance to check the actual plugs yet since I just walked across town (small town) to get back home, but any other ideas you folks have? Possible coil problem? Thanks in advance for any insight and/or help

Edit: When it was misfiring, the MPG gauge would jump up past 40 and then back down to where it should be, not sure if that helps at all.
    Last edited by Hey_You; 12-10-2010, 02:42 PM.
    85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

That sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Are you sure that there's enough gas in the tank? If the tank isn't almost empty I'll vote for a dying fuel pump, a clogged filter, or a bad FPR.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Tank is half full, in-line pump, filter, and FPR are all new. I was also starting to think that the in-tank pump might be going, or the fuel pump relay, but what got me thinking is that the fuel in the combustion chamber wasn't being burned. (Smelt like raw fuel from the exhaust)

It will have 2 different symptoms when it misfires. The first symptom is just like a normal miss, where I get the car bucking (sudden power loss for about a second) every so often which usually lasts for maybe....3-8 minutes. If I keep the car at higher RPM's it can power through it and keep up speed/accelerate. It will rarely die at an intersection when it's like this, and if it does, it will start right up no problem.
      Symptom 2: Car losses ALL power for about 5-10 seconds and sounds like it's just blowing air out of the cylinders, but not actually firing. (What is was doing today) This would happen very rarely and usually only for 1 or 2 episodes.

Up to date: I took my sister's truck to check on my car, and well...it fired right up, idled perfect, and drove home just fine. FML
      Last edited by Hey_You; 12-10-2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I went ahead and pulled my rear seat, and pump cover today. Turned my car to the "ON" position and listened to it prime just fine. Then I started the car and it was idling okay, but I went ahead and kept my ear on the pump just to make sure. The idle started to slightly bobble a little bit, and I could hear some abnormal noise from the pump, almost a metallic scrape/clank noise. So my guess is the in-tank pump has had enough. Should be ordering a new one today or tomorrow.

Comment

I installed my new fuel pump today and went for a test drive. All was swell on the first drive, but on the second drive it did it again. It didn't die and leave me stranded this time, but the loss of power was still kicking. So now that I have both new pumps, filter, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, what could it be? Also, I have been reading on here that the fuel pump relay is the middle relay by the shock tower? I don't believe this is the same with the m10 as the most forward relay is the 7 prong and says "benzinpumpenrelais" Now I'm not familiar with German at all, but I do believe that this is the fuel pump relay (Google is my friend) Could a botched relay be causing my problems?
          Last edited by Hey_You; 12-12-2010, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Also, this is the relay that is in the middle next to the shock tower...

I managed to have somehow knocked the cover off the bottom of it and the wired pins came out...and I don't have a manual, or pinout for them. Can anyone help me out with that?

Comment

had the same problem you are having and a new harness took care of the problem was having to many electrical problems so i just got a new harness and the m10 has been running like a champ ever since
              Originally posted by bmwm42
              PNW vulture pm me for parts
              Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Solved it, I put a pair of the wires in 1 slot down too far, fixed it, connector back together and car running. Still trying to diagnose intermittent misfire. Also re-gapped my spark plugs, and let my car idle for about half an hour, no problems. Went to a test drive using almost all driving methods (Slow acceleration, full throttle, half throttle, cruising) and no problems. Will update if I have more instances of m10 false death
                Last edited by Hey_You; 12-12-2010, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X