Check code: Battery Voltage/DME Main Relay...HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check code: Battery Voltage/DME Main Relay...HELP

My check engine light has been flashing randomly, and I just looked up the code using the table on http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/motronic.html. The Bentley swears my car has a 1.1, but the 1.3 method worked. :roll:

Anyways, it's telling me 1231, which is "Battery Voltage/DME Main Relay." This makes sense, as my lights are pulsing to no end and it's blowing through low beams in 10 minute intervals. Someone explain to me what needs fixing.

As the mind twirls, I'm thinking alternator. There is no other check code for it, and the problem is not enough voltage getting around the car. It's also still original at 264k kms.

Comment

Voltage regulator.

You got a bosch or a valeo alternator? The VR is cheap, and usually the case as opposed to an alternator.

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

Thanks Charlie, as I read more into the Bentley and search on the net, I'm finding more and more fingers pointing at the regulator. There is a test to see if it's the alternator itself or the regulator, but you need another hand for throttle pushing. When my dad is free I'm going to get on it.

Comment

The voltage across the battery is way out of whack, it is definately the regulator. $13.82 at BMA for a Bosch, nice.

Comment

So I am definately stuck on the side of the road on a dead battery... CEL code 1231 flashing.

Any other causes than just the regulator? I'm not electrically inclined so can someone give me an idiots guide to e30 troubleshooting? :p

Oh and ps: battery/alternator light never came on
            Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
            FullOpp Stickers for sale!
            NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
            Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
            ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Does the batter/alternator light com on when you switch the ignition on and go off when the engine starts? If not the bulb is bad and on early cars that will cause the alternator not to charge. If the battery goes dead while driving the car, the alternator isn't producing enough to keep the battery charged.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The diode bridge is bad in the alternator allowing AC current into your cars DC electrical system.

Replace the alternator also have your battery tested (a bad battery can toast an alternator).
                I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                  Does the batter/alternator light com on when you switch the ignition on and go off when the engine starts? If not the bulb is bad and on early cars that will cause the alternator not to charge. If the battery goes dead while driving the car, the alternator isn't producing enough to keep the battery charged.
                  Light came on, yes.

Jonny Cash came to the rescue and we took a trip to the storage to pick up a spare alternator. We swapped the voltage regulators on the side of the road and less than 2 hours from my post I was back on the road.

Massive props to that guy for hooking it up.

- Erick

PS: In Liam's response.... it's a brand new Optima Red Top battery on the 318iS... about 1000 miles on it. So far it all seems fine. I cruised home on the highway in 4th gear to help charge the battery a bit quicker on higher revs. 75mph....4k rpms (4.10 LSD)........................25mpg! <3 M42.
                  Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                  EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                  FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                  NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                  Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                  ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Working...
                  X