thems the brakes - soft pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thems the brakes - soft pedal

ok, I have two cars; 90 325is which has awesome brakes and tall pedal-barely press and stops the car on a dime.
    My other 87 vert. I did a COMPLETE brake job including rebuilt front calipers. rears were fine. Also new emergency brakes.

I bled the system - I do get pedal but goes down about halfway. I bled the system when I put new calipers on.

Why doesn't the vert respond like the coupe?

help would be appreciated.
    sigpic

Brakes

Ceeker, I had this problem myself for around a year.(It had the pedal halfway down when I bought the car) Went through the same process as yourself including putting on braided lines, new master cylinder etc. All to no avail.

Then thought the brake booster. I found out that you cannot adjust the booster where the master cylinder joins the booster. So I tried to shim a little with some aluminum tape. (more to see if it would work rather than a permanent fix) This did not have the desired effect either.

Finally I went in under the dash and disconnected the brake pedal from the rear of the booster and found you can adjust the back of the booster by loosening the locking nut and turning the input shaft to the booster. By winding it out it brought my brake pedal application back up to where it needed to be.

I think that the long pedal is just due to wear and tear to bushes, couplings and booster.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by stoker1010; 03-15-2011, 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

It could also be a problem with your master cylinder. Or air in your ABS solenoids.

Comment

Working...
      X