Random Wavering Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Wavering Idle

So when I first start my car it starts fine and idles around 850 rpm. After driving it for a while, whenever I am in neutral the idle speed wavers from 1400 back down to 700. Sort of like it goes to 1400 for 2 seconds, and then down to 700 for a second and then back to 1400. Sometimes it only does this surging a few times and then idles regularly except that it idles at 1400 instead of the 800 I know it should idle at. I can have the car parked and running in neutral, start it, it'll idle fine for a minute or so, and then start surging. But then, if I turn the car off and back on, it won't surge for another several minutes. I don't even know where to start with this problem :loco:
    Just tryin' to feed the e30 need.

\/,,

Use the bentley manual and test all sensors that have to do with engine temperature.

The idle is controlled through many different sensors. When you tell me its after the car is warmed up that the idle goes up, it tells me that some temperature sensitive sensor is giving false readings.

Also, the bentley manual has a section specifically dealing with erratic idle issues.

There isn't really any easy fix, get a multimeter and go to town.

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
    And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

It also seems to be temperature sensitive. For example, today it was 40F here and my idle didn't waiver at all, it just idled at 1200 all day
      Just tryin' to feed the e30 need.

\/,,

Comment

Working...
      X