Stuck/half working window switches..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck/half working window switches..

Figured i'd stick this here for future searches and to just share the knowledge. So far i only know about illuminated switches, because i don't have a non-illuminated switch to take apart. I would assume they are the same basic design.
    Anyway, one of my switches would only work going down, but not up. After i tore it apart and cleaned it, i noticed there were 4 contact points (2 on each up/down button). The inside points on each button (twords the middle of the whole switch) were worn down very far. But the outside points were almost brand new. You can simply just take the button out, take the metal piece out, and switch them between buttons. Then the worn-out contact is on the outside where less wear takes place, and the new-ish ones are on the inside, hopefully making contact, and hopefully everything should now work.

Quick, easy fix, if you're a cheap bastard like me.

I just cleaned mine up from all the wear and black crud dust stuff and they worked fine after that. I also just slightly tweaked the metal a little bit on one because one of the contact points had actually gone MIA leaving a small hole in its place. Bent that up just a couple mm and as the button pushed down it contacted everything again just fine.

Comment

I have taken mine apart many times and cleaned / sanded the contacts. The last time I soldered new points on and that seems to have lasted longer. Some E36 switches and console would probably fix it permanently. :)
      -Brandon
      '86 325es S50
      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
      S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Back from the dead...

I took my E30 switches apart today to see if I could make them easier to use (E36 switch style). I cleaned the contacts, and then I cut one coil off the spring. This makes them a little easier to push. Works great, but dont cut off too much of the spring or your window will roll up/down by itself!

Comment

Working...
        X