Alternator swap bosch/valeo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator swap bosch/valeo?

Hey guys my e30 has a dieing valeo alternator in it, and I was wondering if it was possible to swap in a Bosch unit. Seeing as I have 2 in working condition.

Are the mounting locations the same? How about the voltage regulators are they also the same? Are the connectors on the back of the alternator the same?

If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks again and happy late easter.
    Last edited by e30 gangsta; 04-25-2011, 11:00 AM.

I just swapped the 80Amp Valeo for a 140Amp Bosh unit without any issues. It was on a s52 though.

Comment

Same here swapped from an entire 80a valeo to 140a bosch on my m50, but if your buying a reman. at autozone or somewhere you may run into issues though, as the pulleys are not interchangeable.

Comment

Thanks. This is on a m20b25 though. Anyone else?

Comment

what year and model e30 do you have? I have been working around e30's since 1994 and not one that i have worked on has had a valeo in it. When they switch body style in 92 thats when i have really seen them pop up.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Its a 1991. Alpine coupe. I just dont want to start wrenching, get everything off to notice it wont work and they are different. It's hot outside lol

Comment

Check realoem for the part number, both alternators should have the same number if they're interchangeable

Comment

Bump anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by mutty View Post
                  I just swapped the 80Amp Valeo for a 140Amp Bosh unit without any issues. It was on a s52 though.
                  Reviving a VERY old post. My E30 with M52 swap had two wires to alternator (thicker red = 12v, thinner blue = battery light). On my old WAI alternator I had clearly marked B+ and D+ terminals. New Bosch has B1+ and B2+ terminals (no D+) and a two-pin connector.

I hooked up the red 12v to the B1+ and ran Advanced Auto test and things seemed fine. When the battery light wire was hooked to B2+ everything went on the fritz and battery light was off when driving but on with ignition off.

Am I supposed to hook the wire to one of the pins on the two-pin connector? That seems to be relaying info from voltage regulator to dash in a true E39.

Thanks,
                  John

Comment

Working...
                  X