Vert brake light delete question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vert brake light delete question.

I swapped the trunk on my vert to get rid of the third brake light. What can I do to make the check panel not light up. There's 4 wires that run through a resistor? And the bulb. Which wires do you jump or should I run a resistor again? Thanks
    I need your obd1 parts! Harness intake ecu etc.

E30 Your Daily Money Pit

No ones ever deleted their third brake light? I can't possibly be the first.
    I need your obd1 parts! Harness intake ecu etc.

E30 Your Daily Money Pit

Comment

The two larger pins on the connector are for the bulb. The two smaller are for the check panel. All you have to do is loop the smaller ones together, aka complete the circuit.

Comment

I just yanked the little board and everything from my vert 3rd brake light and left it wired up, tucked behind the carpet. If I had known it was as simple as gluckich says I certainly would have done that, though. I calculated what kind of a resistor it would take to emulate the 21W? bulb as far as the circuit was concerned, and it wasn't a standard resistance resistor that I could find at rat-shack, and I figured a resistor or the stock bulb would probably make similar amounts of heat anyways so i went with the bulb.

Comment

Here's the page out of the ETM. Basically when the light lights up, that curly bit (the resistor) gets energized and that dashed bit sends power to the pointed part, which is a switch. The switch closes when it gets power. If the switch doesn't close, then it triggers the fault indicator.

To replicate it, you just need to complete the circuit, in this case, by looping the two smaller pins together.

Needed to be explained? Not really, but this is for the sake of others searching in the future. ;)

Comment

Actually it looks like the power goes through the bulb into a coil (not resistor) which energizes and closes the relay.

So you could jump the relay also.

I guess a coil could be called a resistor too.
            Last edited by b*saint; 05-10-2011, 07:54 AM.
            Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Easiest thing is what Mossman said. That's what I did. Just leave the plug with a bulb behind the carpet. It occasionally blows out due to spirited driving but its all good .
              harry/harout

Comment

Originally posted by bmw325csi View Post
                Easiest thing is what Mossman said. That's what I did. Just leave the plug with a bulb behind the carpet. It occasionally blows out due to spirited driving but its all good .
                Yep, this is def the fastest way and the way I have done it.

COTM

Comment

Working...
                X