Differential help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential help.

Working on replacing the differential on my 87 325e. Soaked everything in PB last night and got all the bolts off today. It is disconnected from the axles and the driveshaft and the rubber mount. But, the 4 mounting bolts are proving to be pretty hard for me to get to and work with. Any advice on getting these 4 bolts off? Anything would be appreciated.

These are the bolts that I am talking about. Just in case I wasn't clear.

Originally posted by trackjunkie21
    when there is a choice between an e36 and another car, you choose the other car.

The only easy way to get the differential off/on the subframe is to drop the subframe.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Those bolts were cake for me. This is what you need to do. (I invented this procedure.) You need to use a bolt and nut as a link between a wrench and ratchet. You understand? I have a picture of it I can post.
      Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

I use a hammer on a combination wrench to break them free.

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          The only easy way to get the differential off/on the subframe is to drop the subframe.
          That is what we were thinking about doing tomorrow (today, or whatever that is now)

Originally posted by b*saint View Post
          Those bolts were cake for me. This is what you need to do. (I invented this procedure.) You need to use a bolt and nut as a link between a wrench and ratchet. You understand? I have a picture of it I can post.
          a picture would be nice. not really picturing it.

Originally posted by FredK View Post
          I use a hammer on a combination wrench to break them free.
          This is what we tried already. Did not want to budge.

Thanks for all of the help/suggestions guys.
          when there is a choice between an e36 and another car, you choose the other car.

Comment

Originally posted by b*saint View Post
            Actually, now that I am thinking about it more I think I can picture this. Not enough room to get a ratchet on the top ones, so this method still requires us to drop the subframe, yes?

Comment

No the other way around. Give me like a half hour I will get a picture for you.

Comment

What you will need:

Your "link"

Assembled.

You can use a combo wrench but its just a little clumsy until you put some pressure on the whole assembly. This worked great around the exhaust pipe because you can position the ratchet any way you want to clear around things. I think the forward driver side I had to use a smaller ratchet.

Comment

or but the closed end of a combination wrench on the bolt and then plant a prybar against the body and use the prybar as leverage against the wrench to break them loose.

Comment

That works too except the pry bar slipped out once for me.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. We ended up taking the sway bar off and finagled a torque wrench up there. Just needed that little bit of extra room. Got the diff out today.

Comment

Working...
                      X