Wacky fuel gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wacky fuel gauge

This started some time ago...but my fuel gauge stays off the whole time. Every once in awhile it will show the level of fuel, or at least the approximate level. Most of the time the needle is just in the off position (behind reserve) and on the OBC it says 3.5L when I press 1 and 1000. However, my reserve light works every time. I did some searching but nothing came up like my issue. I did read that if the light comes on, it's the gauge. Can anyone confirm this?

Is this just the fuel gauge or is it the level senders? Like I said, sometimes it will work, but that's for maybe a few days out of a year. I would fill the tank and it would read half. Sometimes it just dances around reserve going back and forth to maybe 1/4.

Thanks for any help. I'm going to be ordering either the gauge or the level senders this Friday, so ordering the right part the first time would be nice!

I've remember reading that if the light is working then chances are that it is your gauge.
    Have you checked the wiring on the back of the fuel gauge?
    I'd also pull the sender out to make sure the float moves the full range.

Comment

Havent checked either, will do. I know the nut on the back is tight but thought ive read that doesnt matter...thanks for the response. If anyone else has any good info on this please chime in. I'd love to know how much gas i have for the first time in a few years! Thanks

Comment

With the OBC and guage showing essentially the same thing the probable cause is the fuel level sensors(s) or wiring to same.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          With the OBC and guage showing essentially the same thing the probable cause is the fuel level sensors(s) or wiring to same.

Yup. There are 2 sensor's that take an average of the tank to give you a reading. If one is bad, you will often get your fuel either dropping to empty constantly or it will go up and down. The connectors often go bad too (same with the fuel pump itself in late model cars).

So, check the connections on both sides first.

Comment

Bought two new level senders being delivered today. Cept the thing is is that the gauge is dead/off unless theres over 9-10 gallons in the tank. Then it just dances around from E to half. The light comes on when low but usually the needle stays behind R. I'll update again after i install the senders.

Comment

Originally posted by jw 325ic View Post
              Bought two new level senders being delivered today. Cept the thing is is that the gauge is dead/off unless theres over 9-10 gallons in the tank. Then it just dances around from E to half. The light comes on when low but usually the needle stays behind R. I'll update again after i install the senders.
              It's a safe bet it's the senders, if I was you I would do the fuel pump in one shot.

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksey View Post
                It's a safe bet it's the senders, if I was you I would do the fuel pump in one shot.
                Good to hear, installing them tonight. I had the pumps replaced about 5 years ago so i'd assume theyre ok. Cars running fine...

Comment

It was the level senders. Probably the passenger side but i replaced them both for $140 from bma (sachs/vdo oem parts). at that price...might as well...
                  Last edited by jw 325ic; 05-18-2011, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Cool. Good to know!

Comment

Originally posted by jw 325ic View Post
                      It was the level senders. Probably the passenger side but i replaced them both for $140 from bma (sachs/vdo oem parts). at that price...might as well...
                      :o

Nice, did you joke about pump replacement 5 years ago? Not sure what is the life span on those but 5 years sounds like it's up there

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksey View Post

Nice, did you joke about pump replacement 5 years ago? Not sure what is the life span on those but 5 years sounds like it's up there
                        what? no....if my factory pumps lasted 18 years why would oem replacements not last more than 5? did you buy shitty china made pumps that lasted you 5 days and that's why you asked?
                        Last edited by jw 325ic; 05-22-2011, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X