Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A/C compressor swap from Seiki-Seiko to Bosch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C compressor swap from Seiki-Seiko to Bosch?

Had the A/C compressor blow out on my wife's '87 325is last week. Of course it has the expensive Seiki-Seiko compressor on it. Anybody have any idea if I can swap it out for a Bosch compressor? The fittings look close and the mounts look similar. Just want to find out if anybody has already done this and what all problems (if any) they had.

Our system has already been comverted to R134. The timing sucks also. I'm currently out of work and we just replaced the high-pressure line 2 months ago (it blew also).

Any ideas?
    '91 318i (commuter)
    '87 325is (Sold with over 310k miles)

<bump>

Anybody have any ideas, or am I just pissing in the wind on this question?
    '91 318i (commuter)

Comment

A compressor is a compressor man. If the lines with bolt up to it use it!

Make sure you put some oil in any used compressor you install though, bout a 20oz soda bottle lid full.

Get the system professionally pulled down to a vacuum, and filled if you can. Try to stay away from those DIY bottles.
      Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

Vapor Honing & E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueabs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
        A compressor is a compressor man. If the lines with bolt up to it use it!
        Thanks for the reply, Jordan.

It looks like the Bosch compressor will line exactly like the Seiko, but I haven't actually tried it. I may go that route. Not too sure if I want to go the used route, though. I don't want to have to take care of someone else's problem. But money is an issue right now.

We'll see what happens if I get this job I'm going to interview at tomorrow.
        '91 318i (commuter)

Comment

Similar boat here. I replaced all lines and converted to R-134 a few weeks back, only to discover afterwards that the compressor is cycling in and out and can't deliver the goods. The cooling is *just* barely adequate, so I'm sort of slacking on replacing it. That and our hot season is over in less than 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
            Similar boat here. I replaced all lines and converted to R-134 a few weeks back, only to discover afterwards that the compressor is cycling in and out and can't deliver the goods. The cooling is *just* barely adequate, so I'm sort of slacking on replacing it. That and our hot season is over in less than 2 months.
            While we have not had the cycling in/out problem, our conversion does sort of lack in cooling power while the car is at idle. But once underway, it cools great! (Or at least it did...) :(
            '91 318i (commuter)

Comment

Update on compressor situation...

Ok....
              Had the compressor looked at by a Porsche friend/mechanic (no wise-cracks, please). He said the compressor is still working, but the front seal is blown. He said all I need to do is replace the front o-ring seal. If I can find one. Local BMW dealer says they no longer stock parts for this old of a model ('87). Called a few local A/C supply houses, and they carry all sorts of stuff for the Bosche & Nippo-denso (sp?) compressors, but not the Seiko-Seiki. I found one that says he might be able to match the o-ring if I take my compressor apart and bring him the old one.

Anybody have any other ideas or places I could try?
              '91 318i (commuter)

Comment

Working...
              X