Alternator Belt Keeps Whining!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator Belt Keeps Whining!

My alternator belt whines really loud. When I had a tune up about 3 weeks ago, I had my mechanic take a look at it. He said that the belt was in good shape and that the bushings looked fine too. He said it was whining because it was loose; so he tightened it. It sounded great for about a week, but then slowly started to whine again. Now it's just as bad as before he tightened it. Is there a procedure for tightening it in the Bentley Manual, if so what page? It's 3am and I don't feel like going out to the garage right now ;) What would make it become so loose again in just three weeks?
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

if you still have the whine after tightening it i suggest "belt dressing". comes in a can at places like walmart, and auto part's stores. you spray a bit on and it quiets the whine pretty well. i've used it successfully in the past.

Comment

how long does it last i have a brand new belt and it's doing the same thing except mine only does it above 2000rpm

Comment

it lasts a few weeks as i recall. i recently finally had my belts replaced, but before than i was using the belt dressing to keep them quiet - they were pretty sqeeky and old. i probably sprayed a little on about once a month or so - and i drive a lot. the stuff comes with one of those narrow aiming tubes you put on the nozzle of the can so you can accurately direct the stream of dressing. and the can is under 2 bucks, so you havent got a lot to lose by trying it. give it a shot! :)

Comment

My car screams after a cold startup. But fine any start after I just changed and tightened and retightened em.

Sold it.

Comment

How do you tighten the alternator belt? I couldn't find it in the Bentley Manual. The index in that thing is terrible.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Theres a 13mm bolt at the bottom of the alternator. I get to it underneath the car. Loosen that.

Then take off your air box (2 10mm nuts) and their is a gear and bracket kind of adjuster. Its a 17mm on one side and a 13mm on the other I do belive. One way makes the alternator go up. THe other make it go down.

Sold it.

Comment

Be careful wit the geared bolt. The teeth care sheer off quite easily. Then you are somewhat fucked and have to use a pry bar to get enough leverage on it to get it tight.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
                  Be careful wit the geared bolt. The teeth care sheer off quite easily. Then you are somewhat fucked and have to use a pry bar to get enough leverage on it to get it tight.

Andrew
                  Ya this way is almost easier. Those geared bolts are useless.

Sold it.

Comment

Working...
                  X