Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC help please! So hot. I need proper pressures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC help please! So hot. I need proper pressures.

Hi all. So, a couple weeks ago I blew an ac hose (from compressor to front of car in front of radiator). For some reason, there was no heat shield and it was 1/2 inch from the exhaust manifold. I replaced the hose, bought a manifold gauge set, and refilled the system with PAG oil and r134a (system was professionally converted a few years ago).

The problem is I don't know what the proper pressure is. I've tried anywhere from 30-45 on the low side (300-250 on high side). It blows kinda cold, but not what I need it to. I mean it's 90 degrees today with no end in sight. :firehop:

Does someone who has converted to r134a and who has cold ac and a manifold gauge tell me what their pressures are and the ambient temperature. I can't find any kind of specific standard for e30s. If early/late e30s have different systems, I have a 1984 325e.

Thanks

Tony

An E30 converted to R134a won't ever have really cold air. The evaporator and condensor are too small for that refrigerant. I've had lots better success with Freeze-12 and even better success with R12 (though it is pricey and hard to get).
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Yeah. I know there are better options, but I had the 134a lying around, and it was cooling pretty well before (I don't know the prior pressures). I might try the Freeze-12 conversion if I can't get it back to where it was before the hose burst, but I'd like to try the proper charge of this first. BTW, any word on the compatibility of 134a with the Freeze-12? I'm assuming that a vac on the system would be enough?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        An E30 converted to R134a won't ever have really cold air. The evaporator and condensor are too small for that refrigerant. I've had lots better success with Freeze-12 and even better success with R12 (though it is pricey and hard to get).
        False. The OP's problem is that he didn't pump the system down before recharging. Your head pressure is through the roof because your system is contaminated by atmospheric air. As a rule your gauge needles should point in the same general direction, as an example 10 o'clock/10 o'clock.

Comment

OK. I tried to vac the system when I charged it before, but I screwed it up (stupid clockwise to open valves). Now that I know how, I can do that right this time. Anyone have a rough idea of how much refrigerant the car holds or what the pressure should be at, say 80 or 90 degrees?

Comment

Bentley says R-12 capacity is .975 grams (2.1 lbs.)

I just added some 135a to my converted system due to a small leak and just used the generic chart on the bottle. I was at like 22 psi low side (75 F ambient) and topped it off per the chart. I bought a 18 oz. can and it still feels half full.

ambient 75 F - 35-45 psi
            ambient 80 F - 40-50 psi
            ambient 85 F - 45-55 psi
            ambient 90 F - 45-55 psi
            1985 325e dd

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
              Well... I had to turn on the recirc function to get good performance (especially as it was really humid that day). On the other hand, I still think R134a performed reasonably. The following pictures were taken at fan speed 4. The TWC App said 93 degrees, so I believe the OBC temp sensor was reading accurately, after all it was sunny and pavement soaks up heat.

Highway:

Idling for 5 minutes:

It's certainly true that R12 is better, but the fact remains that R134a can provide perfectly adequate service.
              Attached Files
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

At those temps. your discharge pressure ought to be around 175 to 225 psig depending on engine bay temp., humidity, aux. fan speed...

Pump it down properly, charge using the sight glass with the system on full blast/windows up when it's hot out, and consider the gauge needle rule. You'll be golden.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
                  At those temps. your discharge pressure ought to be around 175 to 225 psig depending on engine bay temp., humidity, aux. fan speed...

Pump it down properly, charge using the sight glass with the system on full blast/windows up when it's hot out, and consider the gauge needle rule. You'll be golden.
                  Or, as stated in the other thread, fill by weight. :) It works for me.
                  2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                  2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                  Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Wow. Thanks for all the responses. I'm putting a vac on the system this morning and charging. For some reason, I don't have a sight glass on the receiver drier, but without outside air in there this time, I should be able to make minor adjustments to get it right.

Comment

Since you dont have a sight glass this might help. A couple pages down it lists R134 volume by weight.

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

^Extremely helpful document. It turns out I still need about 2 oz. of 134a to be completely full (I used the 0.9 x R12 amount -1/4 oz. forumla and came up with 29.99 oz.). This says about 32 oz. I ended up using 28 oz. 134a + 2 oz. PAG oil.

I actually evacuated the full system this time instead of just the manifold gauges (do'h). It performs much better and should be fully satisfactory once I add a few more ounces of refrigerant.

I'll post my final pressure readings with ambient temperatures once I add that last bit.

Comment

^Cool!

Comment

OK. So I evacuated the system and added 2 oz. PAG oil and 31-32 oz. R134a. That corresponds to 35 PSIG on the low side and 350 PSIG on the high side at 1500 rpm, 87 degrees ambient temperature, about 40% relative humidity.

It cools very well, and the low side hose is sweating a good deal, so I am assuming that the recharge is successful. I'll try to pick up a kitchen thermometer to measure the temp of the air at the vents soon.

I did discover that the recirculate feature on my car isn't working properly. I had to remove the cover for the blower motor housing and manually close the flaps to get it totally into recirculate mode. Anyone have any idea how to maybe lubricate the linkage or something to get the flaps to work properly?

Comment

Also thought to ask: Is the compressor supposed to cycle on and off? Every american car I've had does so, while every european one doesn't. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X