Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you install an aftermarket exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you install an aftermarket exhaust?

I bought a scorpion exhaust. I understand the concept of where everything bolts up, but my questions are:

1) What is the orientation of the two rear/thick/rubber muffler hangars? Are the two thick notches supposed to be at the 12 and 6 o'clock position or the 3 and 9?

2) How the hell do you mount the steel muffler hanger into the into the rubber muffler hangar AND the car's hangars????? I cannot, for the life of me, get one into the other. So, is the trick to hang the rubber onto the muffler first, then hang it to the car or vice versa????/
    1997 Artic Silver M3
    CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Its wicked simple. Use a jack and jack up the muffler into the muffler recess.
    Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Well, it is, but what I had to do was install the rubber hangers, then install the metal braces into the rubber ones, then raise the muffler and mount it.

What I had tried initially was installing the metal braces, that were already mounted to the muffler....trying to get those braces into the rubber hangars with them already mounted on the muffler is a huge pain in the ass.

Lastly, the bolt that holds the metal brace together could have been engineered a tab bit longer....what were those engineers thinking?
      1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

The thick bumps are oriented at 3 and 9.

I put the rubber bits on the hangers, then use a jack to hold the exhaust in place while stretching out the rubber with a large screw driver. It's a pain, be patient.
        Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
        A Topless Memorandum

Comment

I found it 10 x easier to mount the metal braces first on the rubber hangars, then fight to get them closed around the exhaust.

When I was first installing the exhaust, I thought it would be easier to mount the braces with the muffler off the car.
          1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Working...
          X