Power Steering boot/tie rod replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Steering boot/tie rod replacement

I snagged some debris during a spirited drive in the hill country roads the other day that tore one of my rack boots.Now Ive got to refill my resevior every 3-4 days.So its time for a boot replacement.
    I figured since Im already down there i should get both tie rods also.Tie rods need to be replaced but how can you tell if you need the entire assembly? Also I know Lemforder is OEM but TRW is about $10 less for each assembly.Am i asking for trouble if I go with TRW? What clamps are to be used to secure the new boots? Anything else I should look at up front? I already have new bilsteins, control arms/bushing, and strut mounts.

Thanks

Those boots should not be full of liquid anyway. Your rack is leaking.

I go with Lemfoerder for peace of mind. $20 is not that big of a deal. There are two ring kinda clamps that go on each side. Also get a new lock plate for each side (that goes inside the inner ball joint).

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I have been wrong in the past), but the boots should only be there to keep out dirt and stuff out of the rack. If you're leaking fluid, then it sounds like you have a leaking rack. Replacing the boot only is like putting a band-aid on a cut artery.

Comment

Working...
      X