Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake Manifold and Injector Removal(?)

Hi guys,

I'm actually working on replacing the timing belt and a valve adjustment and in the process I thought I might as well pull the intake manifold to get it powder coated as well. In the process of scouring the interweb I learned that with the manifold off it would make for easy access to the injectors. In the grand scheme of things I figured it would be another good thing to clean up since most of the parts in my car haven't been replaced in 25 years.

That said I couldn't find a decent write up (possibly with pictures) that helped with what I should be unscrewing and where to shimmy it out of the car. It's still a learning process for me so I'm not quite sure where everything is. If anyone could point me in the right direction or post any pics they have that might help me remove it I would really appreciate the help! Was hoping to have it off today to take the pieces to get painted and the injectors cleaned ASAP. Thanks in advance!

Removing the intake manifold is pretty much common sense, except for the oil return tube. That tube will have to be pushed down into the block against the spring to get the manifold off. When installing the manifold you need a helper to hold the tube down or will need to zip tie the spring in a compressed state. In a addition to new intake gaskets you will need new seals for the oil return tube and since you will be removing the injectors new seals for them. Even better would be to send the injectors to RC Engineering to have them cleaned and tested (they will be returned with new seals).
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

You'll need to drain the coolant because there is a coolant hose that gets in the way of one of the manifold nuts. You don't need to unbolt the fuel rail or t-stat housing, just remove the t-stat housing bleeding screw and obviously disconnect the fuel hose to the rail.

Remove the airbox and throttle body and you'll have access to all of the intake manifold nuts.

Comment

make sure you order new gaskets if you are going to pc the intake... Throttle body, intake, etc.
        sigpic
        New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
        %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

You don't need to remove the t-stat, it just makes it easier. It takes a lot of finessing and cussing. In order to get the fuel rail on and off with the manifold you have to remove the fuel pressure regulator. Also the oil return tube is easy if you have a friend, one of you hold it down while the other puts the manifold on.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. How many nuts/bolts hold the manifold down after the airbox and throttle body are removed? Here are some pics of what I have removed thus far. I like taking alot of pictures as I go because I don't want to forget where something went and i take my time and do everything across several weekends.
            Attached Files

Comment

There are 12 nuts, two for each cylinder.

Comment

suggesting you remove the throttle/c.c. cables and get the t.b. completely out of the way.

keep an eye on the washers, (easy to lose)
                while its off, and before reinstall definitely port match your new gaskets.

try to keep the old ones (gaskets) intact, and line / match them up to the new ones (you will see the metal impressions) and notice you will have a much better flow, and little/no restrictions there anymore.

if you wreck the old gaskets, just pre-align them using a paper or cardboard template you can match up 1st, and cut- recut, redo until its perfect and then cut your new gaskets to that template...
                on installation, i used a semi-tacky red spray to keep them in place while i reinstalled the intake plenum..and tightened evenly...

i know how to (ever so slightly) port the "i"s, but not the "e"s...and do not polish the internal intake ports...leave em bumpy/rough

btw, in one instance, ive found a intake gasket upside down as i removed it...got a picture somewhere....guessing it was not a Wednesday car,
                Last edited by idanity; 07-05-2011, 02:38 PM.
                3 pedal club
                200,k+ club
                cabrio club
                port-matched- polished- purring www.BMWpark.org

</div>

linux since 1999

Comment

Working...
                X