No announcement yet.

Steering column play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a look at the parts blow-up to make sure aren't missing any parts.

realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1413&mospid=47322&btnr=32_0447& hg=32&fg=30

Upper spindle bearing part #32311158686
    971-295-7077

91' 318i

Comment

Originally posted by immajackuup View Post
      Have you taken the car to a shop yet? They probably know what's wrong.

Comment

would it be easier to swap out the steering column with one at a junkyard?
        how hard are they to pull out?

Comment

Originally posted by Blaine0002 View Post
          would it be easier to swap out the steering column with one at a junkyard?
          how hard are they to pull out?
          There are two bolts at the firewall which are easy to get out and two tamper proof bolts that hold it up top. The tamper proof bolts can be tricky when all you have are hand tools but i used my big ass pickle fork to bend the mounting tabs so that the column fell free once unbolted. Definitely doable.

To do it cleanly in your own car you can use a small rotary tool to cut a slot in the tamper proof bolt I guess, or air chisle attachment if you have air tools

Comment

thanks, that seems fairly simple, then you just pull the u joint out of the steering rack?

Comment

thanks, that seems fairly simple, then you just pull the u joint out of the steering rack?
              Yeah there are two bolts at the joint, loosen and pull them out and you should be good to go.

Comment

if you can not figure out the problem take it to a mechanic.

Comment

Go back to Honda land please.
                  971-295-7077

91' 318i

Comment

excuse me? I figured you would have taken the hint from my elipses that I thought your comment was stupid. Or you are trying to raise your post count. Why would I take it to a mechanic who may have never worked on these cars and likely would have no idea in hell what is wrong, when I can ask a forum and get responses from tons of people who have spent thousands of hours cumulatively working on these very exact cars?

If you dont have anything to contribute to my question, leave the thread. TBH I dont understand why you are even in the tech forums if you only reply to everything with 'take it to the mechanic'.

:finger:

Comment

also, before i go pull a column from a scrap yard, model year doesnt matter right? only airbag vs non airbag?

Comment

also, before i go pull a column from a scrap yard, model year doesnt matter right? only airbag vs non airbag?
                        I think so! looks like there's only two columns on real oem

Comment

Working...
                        X