AC help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC help needed

A mobile A/C guy came and converted my system from r12 to r134 and replaced the fittings and o ring. Did the entire vacuum process and refilled with the proper oil and filled up with 134. It blew cold for about 5 minutes before the blower stopped working. He suggested the blower motor and He mentioned that the condensor seemed to be clogged and should be replaced.

I replaced the blower resistor board and the blower worked again. It blew cold for about 10 minutes while driving and then regular temperature air started to blow. So last week I had the condensor and drier replaced and the aux fan was tested to make sure it was working properly.

This past week I had the a/c guy come out again to vaccum and refill. It blew cold but i had to gas it for the air to get colder. According to him the high pressure was fine but the low pressure was reading low for some reason. From doing a search you guys talk about low pressure in psi but I remember him mentioning something about it being close to 0-5 percent reading on the low pressure side.

Had the a/c running for about 15 minutes and then it started to blow cold. The rest of the week the a/c was blowing cold (not sure how cold it's supposed to be temp wise) until today when i turned it on and it didnt blow cold at all.

Can you guys suggest what could be wrong? I called the a/c guy and he said he'd come by on tuesday but not sure if he can diagnose it and i pay $45 each time he comes out. If possible I'd like to give him some suggestions on what to cheeck. Please help. Oh and the compressor is working b/c i can hear the idle change once I hit the a/c button. maybe the expansion valve? I dunno. It's a 1989 325i. Thank you

ps. I tried turning the a/c on again tonight and let it run for about 5 minutes and still no cold air. I felt the piping of where you fill the freon and it wasn't cold. Not sure if this is normal but maybe it can give some clues as to what may be the problem?

Hmm... Are you sure the compressor is engaging? The AC switch will make your idle run higher when it is pressed in late model cars (it doesn't mean that the compressor is always engaged).

Comment

clog expansion vavle?

Comment

Originally posted by dillsnick View Post
        Hmm... Are you sure the compressor is engaging? The AC switch will make your idle run higher when it is pressed in late model cars (it doesn't mean that the compressor is always engaged).
        Oh really. I'll have to do some searches on how to tell if the compressor is engaging. I always assumed that it's working due to the change in idle once the a/c button is activated.

Originally posted by immajackuup View Post
        clog expansion vavle?
        That's what I'm wondering b/c from the searches I did so far on here and e30tech, the expansion valve made for r12 isn't compatible with r134 or somthing like that...something about the diameter being too small so it restricts flow? I haven't found any info yet on how one can tell if the expansion valve is clogged

Comment

Check ur clutch fan too. What is ur compressor model?

I just want to make sure the freon to oil level is at a good ratio

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
            Check ur clutch fan too. What is ur compressor model?

I just want to make sure the freon to oil level is at a good ratio

During lunch I'll try to check to see what compressor model I have.

Comment

might be a pain in the ass since it is behind the compressor. but you can check the strength of your clutch fan. mine was supposedly working because it spun but Ryan G new it was shot because it had a weak resistance. After he fixed it, my AC started working normally again

Comment

you're probably right. I'm at work too and don't have the time or proper clothing to get on the ground and crawl under the car. clutch fan. hmmm. I'll do some searches on how to check that. thanks

Comment

A little update. So last friday I had the expansion valve replaced and afterwards the a/c worked. It blew very cold. I didn't drive it anywhere though. Pressure of the high and low side was within range. Monday after work when it was pretty hot was the next time I tried turning the a/c on. Didn't blow cold at all! The low side tubing wasn't even cold when I touched it.

Following morning on way to work when a/c isn't needed b/c of the cool temperature, I tried using the a/c. It blew cold. After work when it is hot, it blew regular temp air. This morning as I was warming up the car, the a/c blew cold again. What the hell is going on here this is giving me a headache.

Comment

Was the pressure check done when it was hot? Does the aux fan work?
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Joon.. Im concerned about the fill specs. If your tech is filling by the specs listed on the compressor then without a doubt it is a cause for concern. Do you have a print out?

-Blame my typos on my fat fingers & Droid Charge

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                        Joon.. Im concerned about the fill specs. If your tech is filling by the specs listed on the compressor then without a doubt it is a cause for concern. Do you have a print out?

-Blame my typos on my fat fingers & Droid Charge
                        Sorry i'm using a mobile a/c guy and I didn't get any printouts. He seems to know what he's doing so I wasn't really paying attention how he was filling it. Since I don't have the print out, what do you suggest I do?

I am about to start looking into a shop with experience with working on e30 a/c systems b/c of all the headache. Can you recommend a place?

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                          Was the pressure check done when it was hot? Does the aux fan work?
                          aux fan works. I checked once the engine was warmed up. I believe the pressure check was done from the start of the vehicle up till normal operating temp. I remember the high side climbed to about 300 while the low side was around 25psi

Comment

Working...
                          X