Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Modify 325i exhaust to fit an ETA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Modify 325i exhaust to fit an ETA?

Hey guys,

I have a spare exhaust from an 'i' that I want to run on my ETA since the one on my ETA gave up the ghost last week.

What all is involved? Do I just need to have a shop weld up a 1-into-2 connection for right behind the cat?

I can use the front flange from the ETA exhaust, since it's still in good condition.

Thanks,

Ben

If you can get ahold of a 325i midsection, it'll all just bolt up to the manifolds. That's what I did.
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
      If you can get ahold of a 325i midsection, it'll all just bolt up to the manifolds. That's what I did.
      It just so happens I have a whole '88 325is, so yeah that includes the midsection.

Are all the mounting points the same? Do I need to do any mods? O2 Sensors?

Comment

All of the mounting points should be the same. I bought all new hardware for it, including rear muffler straps/mounts, so I'm not sure if those are different. But I would think it's all the same.

For the O2 sensor, you'll want to use your eta sensor, but I believe the O2 port was further back on the exhaust, and I had to splice in about a foot of wire. There is some bendable heat shielding right there that you can just tuck the extra wire into.

I'd recommend spraying the exhaust manifold to midsection nuts with some PB Blaster to break them free...I've heard they can be really tough.

HTH
        -Brandon
        '86 325es S50
        '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
        '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
        '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
        S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
          THis is what I am doing on my ES. Thanks for the heads up on the o2 sensor.
          Current Cars
          2014 M235i
          2009 R56 Cooper S
          1998 M3
          1997 M3

Comment

You shouldn't need to modify the O2 sensor wiring. If you pull that metal sheid back you can pull the O2 sensor wiring out form under it; since after all, that wiring goes up to the DME thru the same hole in the engine compartment as the rest of the engine wiring...
            Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Working...
            X