Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the secret to removing the stub axle from halfshaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the secret to removing the stub axle from halfshaft?

I'm trying to take a halfshaft apart- I need the stub axle for a project. It's easy enough to get the inboard CV joint off the halfshaft, but the outboard CV will not come off- there must be a secret.

I know from taking other (broken) E30 axles apart that the CV is held onto the shaft with a circlip, but you cannot get to that circlip because it's covered by the stub axle......and I can't see how to get the stub axle off the CV to get to the circlip.

Short of hammering the crap out of it (which is an option- because I just need the stub axle, nothing else....), how is this supposed to be done??

Thanks!

Bret.

6 hex head (allen wrench style) bolts on the halfshaft. They bolt to the axle stub. Undo those. The halfshaft will drop down and the axle stub can be pulled out of the diff. Easy stuff.

Will
    RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
    Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
    DaveCN = Old Man
    My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
    If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Uhh, Will....

Thanks, but I think you misread my question.

I know how to take a halfshaft out, I've probably done a hundred or more of them.... What I was asking is how to take the stub axle end off the halfshaft once the halfshaft is completely out of the car. I was NOT asking about the stub axle that pops out of the diff, I was asking about the stub that slides into the wheel hub on the trailing arm, and then is secured by the large nut- the one covered by the wheel's center cap.

Anyway, I figured it out- you have to pull the CV boot back, then hammer/chisel/pry the metal collar out and slide it down, then you can tilt the stub axle end enough that the CV joint steel balls will fall out, once they are out, the stub axle will separate from the axle shaft. Good thing I did not need to reassemble the halfshaft, the metal collar is impossible to move without trashing it.

Bret.

Comment

Working...
      X