What is this? (fuel system?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this? (fuel system?)

I have a gas leak when i fill it above half tank, just wondering if this could be part of it, if not still curious as to what this is along with the plastic tank and such up in the passengerside rear wheel well.

1990 325i 5spd
    09 135i 6spd m-sport package

That line is the overfill line to the expansion tank. It will leak if you fill the tank above 3/4. If your leak is on the driver (left side) There is a hard line on top of the tank that can become corroded.

[/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

Thanks for the info and the pics! I don't know which side it is coming from because the only time i filled it up just so happened to be a rainy weekend. But i will get that line i know is bad fixed soon. Any sugestions for replacing it? I don't have to drop the tank to put the new one in do I? (passenger side one)
      1990 325i 5spd

Comment

You don't have to drop the tank, but you will have to remove the back seats and disconnect the overfill from the tank. I have pictures on my removal which you may find helpful. If you want I can email them to you.
        [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

Originally posted by z122643 View Post
          You don't have to drop the tank, but you will have to remove the back seats and disconnect the overfill from the tank. I have pictures on my removal which you may find helpful. If you want I can email them to you.
          Got this fixed, was a pain in the ass pulling the only line out and putting the other back in, but all in all took about 20 minutes. Filled my tank full and went for a drive to get the fuel to slide around a bit, no leaks :D
          1990 325i 5spd

Comment

Working...
          X