How much driving to recharge battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much driving to recharge battery?

Lately my E30 has been sitting for extended periods of time without much driving. I do have a Viper alarm on it that I plan on disconnecting, as I think its draining down the battery.

How much around town driving should be required to charge the battery up to near full charge?

The other day I drove the car 5+ miles round trip, came home and parked it. No lights on, only the alarm drawing power. 2 days later, the battery didn't have enough juice to crank.

Alternator is less than a year old, and the battery is a group 49 also 1 year old.
    sigpic
    Parts Wanted
    The Never-ending Resto Mod

If it's going to sit, I would suggest using a battery tender to keep it fully charged.

Comment

a long, long while. probably 3 hours of driving on the highway should do the trick
      Originally posted by TSI
      ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
      OEM+

Comment

If the alternator is working properly and the battery is good, about 30 minutes of driving with the engine speed above 2500rpm in daylight (A/C & headlights off) should be enough to charge the battery.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

the alternator is not for charging a flat battery but rather to maintain voltage in the system. get a battery tender they are cheap enough at napa.

Originally posted by nwvb bmw
          That guy is going to lock you in his basement and make you ware a little pirate costume.

Comment

Originally posted by Mullet Bullet View Post
            the alternator is not for charging a flat battery but rather to maintain voltage in the system. get a battery tender they are cheap enough at napa.
            This.

Using the alternator to charge a dead battery will only fry your alternator due to overloading it. Charge it up full with a battery charger, then get a battery tender for when you aren't driving the car.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone have experience with the solar-type tenders that sit inside the car and plug into a lighter socket or something the like? I'd like to not run an extension cord out to my car all the time.
              sigpic
              Parts Wanted
              The Never-ending Resto Mod

Comment

The solar powered batter tenders work. How well depends at lot on home much sunlight the car sees.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                X