Hood won't open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood won't open

I recently installed a new hydraulic hood strut (oem) because my old one couldn't keep the hood up. The hood release cable is currently broken, but i've been opening my hood using a flat head through the grill. After installig the strut, I tried opening my hood but it wont open. The hood will pop open but it wont lift. I've always noticed that thehood is misaligned, however I noticed that the hood is misaligned more than usual. Could this be the problem? Anyone have an idea of how I can get it to open?
    Attached Files

Maybe the rollers are stuck on something keeping it from opening?
    Possible log jam?

Comment

That's definately mis-aligned enough to make opening difficult.

When the hood unlatches, yank it foreward first. That should release it from the rear guides.
      Suspension tips here...
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Bfh! Bfh! Bfh!
        sigpic
        Parts Wanted
        The Never-ending Resto Mod

Comment

I tried pulling the hood with as much force as possible but it still won't budge. Is it possible that the washer that holds the strut came off and so the strut is only half way installed -- which is causing the hood to not completely retract?

Comment

The strut only holds the hood up. It doesn't have anything to do with the "up and forward" motion.

Is the hood popping up in front when you unlatch it?
            Suspension tips here...
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

ok, my experience with this has been this: when the hood hinge or any functioning part of the hood assembly (non working latch, broken cable etc) is sticking or stuck says one simple thing to me. there is lack of lubrication.
              the broken cable occurs when the latch assbly isn't lubbed and strains the cable long enough over time to either break the hood handle or snap the cable. then we go to the next step of going through the grille to open the hood. Until that fails. now you have a latch that is partially or completely seized.
              If you managed to pop the hood using the screw driver but the hood isn't coming up. As suggested you will have to pull up on the front lip and then forward to release it. You may need to wrestle with it. if you do get the thing to open.

Things you will need to do:

penetrating oil or lubricating the hood hinge just infront of the upper rad bracket. lube the sides and all hinge components. Then press it down like you want to close the hood but don't. move the hood back and forth until it start to free up. meaning the hood upon release should actually spring up and forward with the cable or latch released.

then don't close the hood. remove the latch with a 10mm socket.ratchet and inspect and lubricate well or remove and replace it.

you should have no problems after this if you've taken the time to do it properly and until you can get a new hood cable. GL
              sigpic

Comment

@ Ceeker - You were right on.

Comment

very true, when i bought my car the hood cable was broke and opening it through the grill was how i opened it. After purchasing a new cable and lubing the latch, the hood pops open and shoots forward as designed. Lube is good for lots of things. Like tight buns.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wnamane View Post
                    @ Ceeker - You were right on.
                    you should however re-align the hood; from your pics you posted it is quite off. This should also help from long term premature wear on the hinges and track.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X