Cold start system and wierd idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold start system and wierd idle

So i have been working on fixing ALOT of things on this car (85 325e) that the previous owners messed up or were just plain worn out, so i decided to trouble shoot and fix some of the smaller items i know will need attention.

I started by removing the air intake system from the TB, i was seeing if the TB needed cleaned and inspecting lines for cracks and such

Here is what i found in the big line that goes into the air boot itself

I was wondering what the hell that was doing in there, so i took it out to see what kind of difference it made if any, rpms shot up to 3k-3.5k upon start up and didn't drop, so i shut it down, tryed again and same result, i put the dime back in how i found it and it idled like it has been (around 900rpm). What is causing this? It looks like the cold start setup is bypassed as well, is that connected?
    1990 325i 5spd
    09 135i 6spd m-sport package

Ok, i came across a thread saying it is a normal "fix" for high idle...i want to kno what the cause of the high idle is...not a half assed fix
    1990 325i 5spd

Comment

That is not a "normal fix" for a high idle, but rather a ghetto fix for repairable problems. Take out the coin and work your way through what is below (starting at the top) to fix the car the right way.

Idle or hard starting problems are most commonly caused by intake leaks and/or
      a sticky or defective Idle Control Valve (ICV). The only reliable method of
      locating intake leaks is to have a smoke test run on the intake and crank case
      and to test the brake booster with a gage and vacuum pump. The complete list
      of possible causes of an intake leak is:

Intake boot
      Throttle body gasket
      ICV hoses & connections
      Brake booster, hoses, and connections
      Crank case breather hose
      Evaporative control hoses, valve, and expansion tank
      Fuel pressure regulator & hose
      Injector seals
      Valve cover gaskets & bungs
      Oil filler cap
      Dip stick o-rings
      Oil return tube o-rings

While leaks in some of those can be found by inspection or by spraying carb
      cleaner on suspect areas, not finding leaks that way doesn't eliminate the
      possibility. Only a smoke test will really work.

Once the possibility of intake leaks is eliminated, the ICV needs to be
      removed and cleaned with carb cleaner until the vane inside moves freely. When
      the ignition is switched on you should be able to feel vibration from the
      ICV. If no vibration the ICV is bad, there's a problem with its wiring or
      connector, there's a problem with the TPS, or the DME (or Idle Control Module
      (ICM) on an ETA car) is faulty.

For the DME (or ICM) to control idle, the idle switch in the TPS must work
      correctly. The switch should close when the throttle stop is 0.030-0.060" off
      the idle stop screw.

The fuel system should be tested via the suite of tests in the Bentley manual
      as invalid rail pressure can be a contributor to idle and starting problems. A
      simple injector check is to pull the injectors, jumper the fuel relay to run
      the pump, and see if the injectors are leaking. You can also point the
      injectors into a towel, remove the coil wire, and crank the engine to see if
      all of the injectors appear to be spraying in a similar fashion. The best
      approach to possible injector problems is to have the injectors cleaned and
      flow tested. Since raw fuel can or will be released in these tests, have a
      fire extinguisher handy.

While a bad check valve in the high pressure pump can result in longer than
      normal cranking, if the fuel system is working as it is supposed to the rail
      will reach normal pressure in a few turns of the engine. A weak pump, clogged
      filter or leaking FPR in conjunction with a failed check valve can result in
      longer cranking.

The O2 sensor can be a contributor to idle problems. The O2 sensor is a
      scheduled maintenance item with a useful life of no more than 100k. If the
      sensor has that mileage or more (or is of unknown age), replace it.

The AFM can be a contributor. If the vane doesn't move freely or the
      resistance track is worn the DME may be receiving invalid data from the
      AFM. And if someone has fiddled with the bypass air adjustment the DME may be
      unable to stabilize idle. The bypass air adjustment should only be adjusted
      per the procedure in the Bentley and with an exhaust gas analyzer. And even
      then everything else associated with engine management has to first be
      operating properly. If the AFM becomes a suspect, replacement with a good used
      unit is the best approach.

Improperly adjusted or malfunctioning valves will affect idle and starting. As
      can compression issues from ring or cylinder wear. A valve adjustment is
      called for every 15k. A useful diagnostic is to run compression (dry and wet)
      and leak down tests on the engine. Aged ignition wires, plugs, distributor
      cap, or rotor can cause problems. Insulation does break down with time and
      heat. And since the youngest E30 is going on 20 years old, if the ignition
      system is original or the plugs are old replacement is indicated.

Although not usually a problem, a bad DME temp sensor is a possibility. That
      generally won't cause an unstable idle, but can cause hard cold or hard hot
      starts and/or a rough idle. As can problems with the timing reference
      sensors. Although not commonly encountered, a bad harmonic balancer on an
      M20B25 or M30 engine will cause problems.

When all other possibilities have been eliminated and idle or starting
      problems persist, replacement of the DME, or if applicable the ICM, is
      indicated.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I am actually going to start with the ICV, because i tryed unplugging it (the wireing to it is a PO chop job and needs redone) and nothing happened, the car ran the exact same..so i don't think its working/getting power. Which color wire goes to which plug? I'm going to start there
        1990 325i 5spd

Comment

I tested the wires going to the ICV, No power going through either one, both wires all the way to the main harness appear to be in good shape, so what now?
          1990 325i 5spd

Comment

Either you have a dead ICV control module, or there is no signal to it. Sorry I can't give a better answer, my Bentley is out in the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadrajet View Post
              Either you have a dead ICV control module, or there is no signal to it. Sorry I can't give a better answer, my Bentley is out in the shop.
              I'm assuming that is that different from the actual valve then?
              1990 325i 5spd

Comment

Your ICV module is under the dash by your ecu. It is a small green part with wires going to it. They do go bad and if bad, the idle is high and may hunt up and down big time. I have a good one if you need one.
                The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Originally posted by wodcutr View Post
                  Your ICV module is under the dash by your ecu. It is a small green part with wires going to it. They do go bad and if bad, the idle is high and may hunt up and down big time. I have a good one if you need one.
                  Don't supposed you have a picture? not sure what it looks like, trying to find mine
                  1990 325i 5spd

Comment

found the module, it was completely unplugged, i am getting power to the valve now
                    1990 325i 5spd

Comment

Quick question...

I'm hunting a vacuum leak and cannot find HOWEVER, when I pinch the hose from my VC to Throttle Body my idle shoots up and stabilizes

WTF? do I need to the "Dime" trick too?

Comment

You need to have a smoke test run to find the leaks.
                        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

FOUND IT!

That spring loaded transfer tube from intake to bottom of engine was not set properly even though I replaced both o-rings with my HG and Cyl Head job...reseated and VOILA I now have a steady cold idle @ 800 and it drops...hells yeah

Comment

Btw, never did update, after plugging in the module, taking the dime out and adjusting the valve, it now idles about where it should
                            1990 325i 5spd

Comment

Originally posted by Helltime View Post
                              Btw, never did update, after plugging in the module, taking the dime out and adjusting the valve, it now idles about where it should
                              That's what these cars need, just some careful thinking and some patience.

Good job.

Comment

Working...
                              X