A/C Compressor clutch squeal!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Compressor clutch squeal!?!

So I installed my new A/C in over the summer, worked great on my long drives to northern california area, not to long ago my clutch on my Compressor just squeals so loud that everyone around hears it and it's embarrassing. What is going on here? And how can I fix it?

The A/C compressor is brand new/ refurbished.

It normally happens when its really hot out.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Check the belt tension. One trick I use is to drip some water on the belt as it is running - if the squeal goes away or changes pitch its the belt.

Comment

Well it's not the belt tension it's the compressor clutch that squeals when it tries to engage.

Comment

In that case it may be the the clutch or it may be the compressor itself. If the compressor is bad the clutch may not have enough holding power to rotate the shaft. Or it really could just be a weak clutch. You can change the clutches on these things but its not the easiest thing to do with the AC lines still hooked up if you want to avoid loosing your Freon. If you remove the compressor you might as well as return it for a replacement or refund.

Comment

when a/c clutch goes bad most likely the compressor will too.

Comment

Do u hear it through the vents as well?

-Blame my typos on my fat fingers & Droid Charge

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
              Do u hear it through the vents as well?

-Blame my typos on my fat fingers & Droid Charge
              No I don't hear in the vents. My car still blows cold air though.

Comment

I would double check your belt. they can slacken off as you drive it.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ceeker View Post
                  i would double check your belt. They can stretch as you drive it.
                  ftfy

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

It's your belt. The make noise under load if they are not under the correct tension. I've never heard an AC clutch make that noise before they go bad, they just go..

Comment

Originally posted by dillsnick View Post
                      It's your belt. The make noise under load if they are not under the correct tension. I've never heard an AC clutch make that noise before they go bad, they just go..
                      but if that is the case wouldn't the noise be more consistent than random? what makes the belt lose the correct tension any way?

Comment

It stretches from heat and environmental factors.
                        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I just removed my a/c compressor and disassembled it. these are dry clutch systems. Two matching surfaces brought together by a magnet sitting behind the pulley. 12v power activates the mag to draw the two surfaces together - pretty simple. I'd be hard pressed to think it was your clutch after getting a rebuild. The clutch wouldn't squeal in this case but would only engage and disengage if the switch was bad. Bearing might squeal. So I'd say, it's your belt tension and as mentioned it can stretch and contract depending on what weather the belt is subjected to.

oh, and did you put a new belt on? Also check the adjuster bracket as the bolt head sometimes strips teeth and you might not get adequate tension on the belt.
                          sigpic

Comment

if a bearing was shot, the noises would be always noticeable?

Comment

Originally posted by Ceeker View Post
                              I just removed my a/c compressor and disassembled it. these are dry clutch systems. Two matching surfaces brought together by a magnet sitting behind the pulley. 12v power activates the mag to draw the two surfaces together - pretty simple. I'd be hard pressed to think it was your clutch after getting a rebuild. The clutch wouldn't squeal in this case but would only engage and disengage if the switch was bad. Bearing might squeal. So I'd say, it's your belt tension and as mentioned it can stretch and contract depending on what weather the belt is subjected to.

oh, and did you put a new belt on? Also check the adjuster bracket as the bolt head sometimes strips teeth and you might not get adequate tension on the belt.
                              The belt is brand new, put a new one on when I put the compressor on. I guess I will have to check the tension since the bracket teeth are stripped.

Another thing I should mention is that when I watch the clutch engage a disengage it seems more like the clutch surface that squeals not the belt.

I'll let you guys know what happens, but I'm going to need another hot day down here in california to know if I fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X