Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOISES - RPM and Speed related

Hey folks, having noises/issues with my '85 325e

So When going 55+ there is a "Brrrrrrrrr" or Groan that increases with speed. Thinking diff but fluid is OK and I don't have a limited slip (I think, did the "raise rear" test and only one wheel turns...yes one wheel)

NOTE: makes noise at 55+ even when NOT in gear

Also, when accelerating there is a binding/brrrr'ing around 1500rpm in every gear...so I took it to a shop and they raised it in the air and the mechanic said there's a ton going on with the tranny and it's hot as hell. I was under the vehicle so I verified

The front driver's side wheel has a loose tie-rod (i.e. it has a little play at the 3 and 9 position)

thoughts? The mechanic thinks the 55+ humming is related to the tranny as well...
    Last edited by Disco Benny; 10-24-2011, 03:46 PM.

Also, apparently the tranny noise (~1500rpm) is not present when first starting up and driving the vehicle...after warming up or making a few errands the noise is there

Comment

Make sure all your front end components are solid. That may be your problem.

When is the last time you changed your transmission oil?

Comment

Oil just changed...80-90 with lucas...still there

defintely two separate problems

One is speed related - thinking bearing but can't isolate where it's coming from. Fluid in diff checked good

The RPM noise (brrrring/binding) is from either tranny or rear-end ugh but it sounds like its right underneath me...That rubber flex-plate was replaced by the PO, I saw it when I was underneath. The driveshaft has only a slight amount of play in it (u-joints replacement?)
        Last edited by Disco Benny; 10-25-2011, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I have the sound recorded

if anyone can help I can send the file to ya

Comment

Working...
          X