Need help with DIY Decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with DIY Decision

OK, I woudl like to know your guys opinion's on wether or not i could change the timing belt on my '84 eta myself or not.

Now, I'm 17 years old. Go ahead, rag on me(i know you enjoy it :twisted: ), But i take good care of my car, alot better than the previous owner. I payed for every single part on this car including the initial purchase by myself, so its not a "Daddy's Gift" car. Please, dont go down that road. Anyway, I like to tinker with stuff, and i'm pretty good with my hands, including mechanical stuff. But, I dont have alot of (read: almost none) experiance with cars, but whenever i do something mechanical, i take my time, mark where everything went, label stuff, etc. I have the Bentley Manual, and i wanted to know if you guys think i could do the timing belt myself, or should i save up the $400+ and got to a mechanic?

Thanks in advance guys.

changing the timing belt is super easy, unless you are Chapel.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
      changing the timing belt is super easy....l.
      you're kidding right? It's a PITA, but manageable......

I think he can do it, but it'll take a long time and be frustating at times.

Comment

You won't learn unless you try. You have a Bentley and you have a message board. You should need nothing else other than common sense. Changing a timing belt the first time is a little intimidating. Once you are finished, you'll wonder why you ever doubted yourself or paid others to do it for you. Take your time, follow the Bentley, and you should be fine.

Most of us don't have lower opinions of our youngers. We just have lower opinions on the youngers (or olders) who talk too much and expect something for nothing.
        Don't forget the good things Hitler did.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and beeing so kind guys. I was expecting flames about how I'm "a stupid teen who doesnt deserve a BMW cause he'll wreck it going to fast " etc.
          I really wanna do the timingbelt myself because:

a)it will save me money :twisted:
          b)I think it will help me become more mechanically inclined twords cars, and have a general knowledge of them and their workings.

Comment

He means super easy in the level of difficulty. Its not hard, I just did it with no previos car experience, and it came out great. Its just a huge bitch and takes forever.

I bombed Korea every night.

Comment

Jordan is so right! (damn did i say that?) and you dont have to pull the hood. should take about an hour your 3rd time.
              w

Comment

The best thing I ever did was buy on old worn out M20 many years ago for $150. I pulled it apart (a few times), studied it, played with it, put it back together, and learned how simple the engine really is. You won't learn anything about your car unless you get in there and do it. The Bentley is a fantastic backup, but hands on exerience can't be beat. When you get further involved fixing and replacing parts, the Bentley will make even more sense. There is really nothing too difficult on the e30 325 other than the rear wheel bearings and the 22mm crank bolt.
                Don't forget the good things Hitler did.

Comment

other than the rear wheel bearings
                  HA! Isnt that the truth. I had to take a freakin sledge to mine to get the hubs out. Man i cant wait to NEVER do that again. anyway, yeah most things on an E30 are fairly easy if youve got some tools a good book and net access.

Brian

Comment

FWIW, be sure to have a new water pump/gasket as well as a tensioner (all DIY guides will tell you this) but the emphasis on new is imperative. i had a mechanic change my water pump right when i got my car, and then a little while later realized that my gasket was leaking. i replaced the gasket twice (lame) before realizing that the water pump itself had a hairline crack that wasn't allowing the gasket to make a good seal. even tho my water pump was new when it went in, 6 months later it was useless.

could be i'm just unlucky, but after skinning my knuckles for two weekends doing the repair, i'd rather spend the $$ on new parts.
                    sigpic
                    king of bad decisions.

Comment

When I took my pump off there was no gasket..... Good thing I got in there.

I bombed Korea every night.

Comment

Working...
                      X