Blew my rear Bilsteins Sports!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blew my rear Bilsteins Sports!!!

and i got a brand new set of Bilstein Turing Class, will they work with my Ground Control Coils. The reason my rear sports blew is that i did not have a bump stop on them for over a year, then i put some VW bump stops but i guess it was too late, so the ride has been bouncy lately i got these today for free and i dont know if they will hold up??

Wasn't someone asking on these awhile back? IIRC, these are just a bit stiffer than stock, and not shorter at all. If that's true, then I guess they wouldn't work... I vote for Koni.

Comment

what 808 said. Tourings are a lot softer, and probably dont match well at all with the springs you're running, unless you have ultra waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles springs. Either way the height wont work well and definately shorten the shock life.
      BEERTECH

Comment

There should be a fair amount of shock travel left, even with your ride height (I'll double check that later).

Why not use the lifetime guarantee of Bilstein Sports and get new ones? The Tourings won't last long.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill 84 318i
          There should be a fair amount of shock travel left, even with your ride height (I'll double check that later).

Why not use the lifetime guarantee of Bilstein Sports and get new ones? The Tourings won't last long.
          the thing is that they sent me these instead of the sports, and they told me they wont have the sports till march, so i might as well use these, so if they blow by march i will have new sports

Comment

my rear sports blew out too, send them to the factory and have them revalved to stiffer specs under warranty. Your bump stops shouldn't have anything to do with them blowing, I don't think you can bottom out e30 rear shocks

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
              my rear sports blew out too, send them to the factory and have them revalved to stiffer specs under warranty. Your bump stops shouldn't have anything to do with them blowing, I don't think you can bottom out e30 rear shocks
              The shocks came with the following Note:

Protective Boot and Bump Stop, must be installed. Failure to install proper parts will result in damage to shock and vehicle

Comment

that little black cover is what they're talking about, it has a mini bump stop built in, they will blow regardless whether or not you have that, I had mine installed

Comment

The rear of an e30 will bottom out, at least the cabrios will. Dave Adams went through 3 sets of springs to stop bottoming out. I believe he went from 475,600, and finally 750 :shock: .

Koni makes shortend shocks that are pretty beefy.
                  2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Bottoming out refers to the shock bottoming out.

Coil bind (which was an issue with GC's early springs, and the one Dave Adams had) is a different issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill 84 318i
                      Bottoming out refers to the shock bottoming out.

Coil bind (which was an issue with GC's early springs, and the one Dave Adams had) is a different issue.
                      True. I do understand that dave went through coil bind yet on his website he also discusses the need for stiffer springs to prevent bottoming out, as the Bilstien's were not custom valved for the spring rates.

2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

it's a mis-type, the bilsteins aren't valved stiff enough, so they let the springs compress very quickly when they hit a large bump and this caused either coil bind, or contact between the two nipples where the springs mount (my problem)

Comment

Actually, Bilstein Sports have a lot of compression (which is what would help stop the spring from binding up). Koni SA's have hardly any, which is why it is so easy to compress them for adjustment.

It should not be the responsibility of the shock to stop the spring from binding up - the spring/suspension should be designed to not let that happen under any circumstances (i.e.- the shock should hit the bumpstop before that happens).

Comment

Working...
                          X