steam from the exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steam from the exhaust

well its like 10 degrees here so its hard to tell whats normal... but how much steam should there be from the exhaust when its cold... what would signs of a cracked head be... anything besides steam would it be an excessive amount of steam

i am not loosing coolant and i am not having overheating problems i just know this car lets off alot of steam when its cold... alot more than the vw did

btw i dunno about when its warm becuase it hasnt been warm here yet

Comment

does the exhaust smell milky and have a very opaque white color?
      My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

no not really any smell at all maybe a little gas smelling but i am not really sure what you mean by milky.... and it disipates fairly fast and seems pretty light...

i was reading a buyers guide and it got me nervous...

Comment

how cold was it out??? and how warm/hot was your car when it was putting out smoke. if your fearing a head gasket pull out the plugs and check the cond. of them, also note the colour of the plugs, if its white like a new plug you got water in there....which means head gasket. another test you can do, if you have acess to an exhaust anazlyer....torque up the car in gear and place the anazlyer over the coolant bottle while it is open. and see if your hc or co rises. that a sure thing to be a head gasket then.

hope that helps....

btw it doesn;t sound like one they way you describe it. ;)
          Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

i think i am just being paranoid.. its like 8 degrees out there now... its just becuase its cold as all hell i think... i am just extra worried about cars breaking now from being a corrado owner... corrado = the most expensive parts and frequently broken car ever... and it doesnt help that i am just about pennyless at the moment due to just signing away my rent check and college loan payment...
            :shock: :D

Comment

Park the car and let it idle. Watch the exhuast and see if you see a bunch of watter dripping out of the exhuast, Then smell the watter. On out 528e when the gasket went it was dumping quite a bit of watter and was puffing grayish smoke.
              Some steam is normal as Mine puffs a good amount in the cold.
              85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Tons of steam during cold weather is not unusual. Often times it will lessen once the car has been driven for a while and fully warmed up. Sometimes it's due to condensation is the exhaust or merely steam released from the combustion process. Look at other cars on the road and you'll probably notice the same thing. I'd use other cars for a baseline comparison. For comparison's sake, how much more noticeable is your breath in cold weather? Therein lies your answer.

Comment

Working...
                X