how long is too long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long is too long?

i want to run a longer coil wire on an s14 motor to position the coil in the cockpit under the dash. does anyone know for sure the disadvantage if any of doing this? im concerned about added resistance. any electrical wizards that can give a definitive answer? i suspect i would need to add 12 to 16 inches to the stock length of the coil wire.
    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

why would you want to move it there? And yes, i see some potential problems with this set up... Its not neccisaraly the wires on the primary side of the circuit, but the secondary wire that goes from the coil to the distributer. Where will you find a wire that long?

kyle
    1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
    DILLIGAF

Comment

Adding that much, assuming you are using high quality wire, won't add any noticeable resistance. How ever, I have to ask, why do you want to move it? Other problems may result in lengthening the wire other then just adding resistance. The electrical signal sent through the coil wire will mess with other electronics if they are close enough together.

Comment

why? s14 in 02

Originally posted by vlad
        Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

shouldnt be a problem. The general rule for lead resistance is 8000ohm per foot, so if you went for a low resistance lead, say like the BEHR items bmw use, you shouldnt have a problem.
          Just a little project im working on
          - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Working...
          X