How would I resync sunroof cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would I resync sunroof cables?

Hi all, first Q post. I have an '88 M3 (6/87 build) with a sunroof problem. I can get the panel to kick up in the back to vent, but can't get it to drop down and retract in order to open.

I have to time it right when closing the vent as I get the gear grinding sound, so I'm pretty sure one cable is off from the other, pulling the panel into binding.

What steps would I take to further diagnose and/or begin a process? Do I take the panel off to expose the tracks, or do I pull the overhead panel to dick with the motor and that mechanism? Or both? I probably need to lube up the bastard really well too.

TIA

gear grinding? sounds like your motor is coming loose from the roof, thats what happened to mine, it was out of sync. I just held the motor up till i tilted it up to where it wont go any further, then i held either the close or open button while holding the motor up and youll hear clicks, then this step is pretty stupid but it resolved my problem, i hold either button and without holding the motor back up i let the motor grind, although you should hear a click after awhile, then press the same button again and itll click a second later telling its in tilt mode then i checked by holding the motor up again but this time pressing the opposite button, if you retract the sunroof all the way back and you hear a click and looks like the sunroof couldnt go any back further then it synced, and basically i tightened the screw that holds the motor up and issue solved

BUT dont do what i did obviously, my explanation most likely wouldn't help unless i had a video which would clarify things but, theres a better solution but it helped me, but im just saying it could be a loose motor
    1986 325e (EUR)
    Grey Market
    Zinno
    327i Build
    Zender kit
    ESM 008TA

Restoration progress TBA

Originally posted by ethrtyiS
    sweet! day after my first final. really getting waffleswaffleswaffleswafflesed up then!!

Comment

I'll have to check that out as a possibility. Thanks for the suggestion. Although the grinding is something I want to avoid, as I don't know what's actually grinding and if it's impossible or costly to repair.
      Last edited by thewiz666; 03-15-2012, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I pulled my manual sunroof cables today, one of the sliders was broken. Im curious as to how the cables should be reset as well, has anyone replaced the sunroof cables before?

Comment

Me too. I have my sliders out, but can't see how the cables go in. Do you have to rip out the headliner to get to them? I removed the small black headliner and can see the bottom of the gears.
          JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Figured it out. Just crank them out. Duh!
            JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Working...
            X