Is my evaporator leaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my evaporator leaking?

Hey guys...I'm replacing all my o-rings and a few AC system components for a R-134 conversion. I decided to pull out the evaporator to have a look at it and just check it over. I noticed some green stuff and general nastiness on the copper lines going into the core. I feel like that's probably indicative of a leak, but I want to be sure it isn't something else/normal. What do you guys think?

Thanks for looking!

I don't know it that is a leak or not. Clean the crud off and pressure test the evaporator.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Can most AC shops pressure test components?

Comment

That looks like AC leak-detector dye residue--whick means a leak.

Comment

^^^ That's what I was thinking...probably not even worth the money to check. A friend of mine shot me a link from somewhere stating that compound material evaporators (like mine, aluminum and copper) commonly leak because each material has a different expansion/contraction rate and range so leaks form over time from cyclic wear. Makes sense...especially on a 23 y/o car.

Comment

This replacement looks to be all aluminum...I may give it a try...I mean for 70 bucks?! Can't hurt. Hopefully it isn't of crappy construction though, haha!

Comment

Working...
            X