fuel problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel problem

hey people heres my situation.. engine fires up fine even after being garaged a few months. she idles fine but when i give her a little gas she struggles a bit. when i start moving and attempt to give a little more gas (3-10mph range) she starts to choke up and jerk around. feels like a 16 year old chic learning manual. 50% of the time the car will just die out but starts right up. so far ive only changed the fuel filter and put in injector cleaner but im contemplating my next move.. change fuel pump(s), pressure regulator, or whatever is suggested. i had this problem right before i parked my car to do bodywork so its not like it just started happening. another thing is, i started noticing the fuel struggle when giving gas while executing a right turn. now it happens at take off. so do we have a doctor in the house??

thanks, matt
    84 318i

Air flow meter or a very weak fuel pump.
    Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

could be a spark problem, but the right turn problem makes me thing fuel pickup

take a look at the cap and rotor though as well as the connections for afm, tps, plugs, coil, etc
      James
      '88 M3

Comment

i guess i should add that spark plug wires, plugs, distributor cap, rotor, coil, and battery are brand spankin' new. im guessing its the external fuel pump because i hear a gorgling sound coming from it. can that possibly be it?
        84 318i

Comment

anyone else have any suggestions? today im going to order a new fuel pump from bavarian autosport. well at least ill have a new one even if its not the problem..
          84 318i

Comment

That's how my car reacted when my AFM went bad. Fired up and idled fine until you try to drive it anywhere it would choke out and bog down because the flap on the AFM wasn't opening up.

Check that first before messing with the fuel pump..

Comment

I was having similar problems, although I only replaced the secondary pump which is under the rear seat. That helped stopped the noise of the main pump at least, as well as providing more consistent acceleration. HOwever, I would take the advice of the other guys and chekc out the AFM first.

Comment

Working...
              X