Shift linkage? Drivetrain? wtf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift linkage? Drivetrain? wtf

My eta has been ticking, consistently with RPM, for the past few weeks. I thought originally that the tranny was misaligned, as I was having trouble getting it into reverse and the shifter looked like it was moved to the left about a full inch or 1.5". But now, I get this nasty ticking noise that sounds like something is hitting the driveshaft. It's worse in 1st, 3rd, and 5th, which makes me think it is the linkage. It still makes noise in 2nd and 4th, but not nearly as much. I can feel the shifter/linkage hitting something through the handle, but I'm just not sure what exactly it is. Any ideas? Similar problems?

Ordered tranny/engine mounts to be safe, just waiting to install them to knock out that factor...

Oh and I did do quite a bit of searching, but found nothing this specific that really pointed me in one direction or another.

Thanks!

The rear mount might be bad or completely broken which would cause the linkage to drag on the drive shaft.

Happen to me. Good luck.
    '84 325e - "Elizabeth"
    '87 325e (SHELL) - "Sleeping Beauty" - COMPLETE PROJECT PART-OUT - S54, 5-LUG, and MORE

sigpic

Comment

if your shift linkage is stock there is a huge steel "plate" carriage attached with rubber bushings. either that plate has crack and or the bushing are worn.

#1/#7 could be worn.

also replace the transmission mounts while doing this.
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
      X