Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM Related Noise

My car is a '90 325i, 5 speed.

Motor was recently swapped in my car, just put a lower mileage 2.5 in it. Now there is a noise at around 2500 rpm, in every gear, and it seems to be louder when accelerating harder. Feels like it's coming from the drive line somehwere. But where, who knows? At first I thought it was the common worn out center bearing noise from the drive shaft. Since it's rpm related though, I don't think that's it. The noise is a sort of rubbing/clunking noise, kind of similar to a drive shaft noise. I can feel it in the car when it happens. It also seems like turning affects it.

Here's a list of things that were done/replaced at the same time as the motor swap:
    • flywheel
    • rear tranny seal
    • crank scraper
    • AC Compressor replaced
    • tranny fluid
    • diff fluid
    • exhaust removed/reinstalled to fix leaky header
    90 325i DD/Track
    03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
    It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Were the motor and transmission mounts replaced when the engine was changed? They should have been.

Was the exhaust correctly re-installed?
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Both good questions. The tranny mounts were replaced, motor mounts were not.

Taking the car to a shop to put on a lift now, I will check the exhaust again. It looked ok yesterday when I checked it out, but I'll look much closer this time.
      90 325i DD/Track
      03 Durango 5.9

It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been online in a while. The exhaust was not loose, but it was up against a heat shield. Bent the heat shield back a bit and no more noise and vibration. Motor swap success, but now my head gasket is leaking oil... uhhg.
        90 325i DD/Track
        03 Durango 5.9

Comment

Working...
        X