325is: two issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325is: two issues

I keep getting this thing to run better and better (in sh!t shape when I bought it) but I can't seem to pinpoint two issues I'm having.

First off, the idle is somewhat rough. The idle speed, i believe, is correct. However, it sounds like it is "missing," you can hear it pretty clearly in person (posting a video but it may not turn out well) and it makes the car noticeably twitchy at idle, kind of feels like someone is kicking your car every couple of seconds. It does not drop or surge in RPMS but it is noticeable. I have replaced all the ignition components minus the coil, the intake manifold gaskets are new as I took that and the VC off (also new gasket) to sandblast them. Injectors are rebuilt with new O-rings, just replaced the fuel filter. I've checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner (safety 3rd) and haven't found any. I'm thinking it could be the IAC or O2 sensor? But I was hoping for a second opinion before I go throwing parts at it.

Second, you can see in the video on the dash, there's some kind of charging issue. The battery light on the dash stays on most of the time when I'm driving. The light varies in brightness directly with the engine at idle when it is missing, and gets brighter when you rev it. Sometimes it will be on but so faintly it'll look like it's out but it is always on. I replaced the voltage regulator and it did nothing. The battery is brand new, and I went as far as cleaning the contacts on the battery, where it grounds to the body in the trunk, replacing the oil pan to frame ground and adding a ground from a bolt on the alt housing to the same bolt the oil pan grounds to. This did nothing. The voltage reg was a new Bosch unit, could it just be defective, or should I just try replacing the whole alt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UfQu...1&feature=plcp

Thanks a lot,

JB
    Last edited by jbruch694; 07-12-2012, 10:25 PM. Reason: youtube didnt work

The most likely cause of the idle problems are intake leaks and an aged O2 sensor. At least that is the place to start. Have a smoke test run and replace the O2 sensor.

There is a good chance that all that is wrong with the alternator is worn brushes. If the alternator bearings are still good (remove the belt & spin the pulley) a replacement regulator/brush assembly should fix it.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I mentioned I did replace the voltage reg. It didn't seem to have any effect. The brushes on the old one were almost gone though.

Comment

Did you measure the voltage coming off the alt?

Comment

Yes. I'm getting a steady 13.67 at the battery and 13.58-13.64 at the alt.

Comment

13.5 or so at idle is normal output from the alternator. The next question is what is the voltage at the exciter terminal of the alternator at idle?
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
            X