Spark plug ferrules [now with picture]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug ferrules [now with picture]

I was replacing my spark plugs tonight and noticed that the ngk's I removed and a threaded stud on the end that the plug wire would fit over.

The new Ngk spark plugs had ferrules on the end and there was no hope in getting the current spark plug wife's to work with these in place.

My place question: is there a way to remove the ferrules from the new plugs or will a new set of plug wires be compatible with these plugs?
    Last edited by frolf; 07-19-2012, 12:00 PM. Reason: added photo of plug

Dan

I was thrown off by your use of fancy french words.

They should twist off counterclockwise. The ones I just did on my new Bosch plugs were super tight, I had to use pliers.
    '87 325is - Schwarz/Schwarz

Comment

Get some pliers and screw them all off

I had the same question when I did mine, lol

Comment

Yep, just some pliers.
        -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Interesting. I used a lot of force on them last night with no luck. Will try again this morning.

Thanks everyone!

Dan

Comment

Bah, just tried again with pliers with no success. Some how the ferrules are on there really, really tight.

Dan

Comment

Locking pliers and a wrench will take them off.

Comment

make sure you have plugs with a removable ferrule. Not all do. tell tale is you have a threaded hole in the top of the plug.... no threads or hole visable, little chance that the cap is removable.
                I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
                  make sure you have plugs with a removable ferrule. Not all do. tell tale is you have a threaded hole in the top of the plug.... no threads or hole visable, little chance that the cap is removable.
                  Yep, just had an encounter where Autozone gave me a set of spark plugs for my rabbit and I assumed they were removable. Ending up pulling the whole metal rod out.

Comment

I will report back with pictures of the plugs. Thanks!

Dan

Comment

What car do you have and which NGK plugs do you have?
                      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Jim - I have an M20B25 powered 1987 325i. Unfortunately, I didn't grab the part number before I headed back to the office after lunch. I took another attempt using as much as strength as my puny arms could muster, no luck. My guess is that these plugs were meant to keep their ferrule. Replacements will be purchased today, and new plug wires are on the way anyways.

Thankfully, the commute to my office is 0.8 miles.

Dan

Comment

They look typical screw off removable. Not trying to sound like a dick but I've made mistakes....you are unscrewing them to the left?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
                          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

use vice grips broh

Comment

Use a torch to heat the tip briefly then use a vice grip to loosen it (counter clockwise with the plug up like that in your picture).

Comment

Working...
                              X