Is my ignition switch dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my ignition switch dead?

First off, my Bentley manual is being ordered as we speak (the E30 is my girl's car, so she's buying the book for me). But, may I ask for a little help in the mean time? I tried to search, but I'm not entirely sure how to narrow this down.

So, I replaced the ignition lock cylinder the other day using the simple allen key method found on here. Car started up just fine, thought she was good to go. The key wouldn't spin past accessory mode, but upon replacing the cylinder, it was great.

Now, two days later, she went to start it and it spins to ignition, but nothing happens whatsoever. No starter solenoid click, but the ICV turns on as does the fuel pump. So ruling out the starter, I jumped pins 11 and 14 on the diagnostic port, started right up no problem. Therefore, I assume ignition switch?

BUT... before I go tearing that apart (I truly hate working on interior stuff for whatever reason), is there anything else I should check? Maybe a relay or a fuse or some crap like that? Given that it truly just died suddenly, I figured maybe it's not the ignition switch, as my Corrado sorta will let me know when that's dying (i.e. sorta tricky starting for a while, then dead later). And finally, does anyone have a link to a DIY for the ignition switch, or is it very straightforward?

Thanks in advance...
Working...
X