Wheel Spacers wear/tear question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Spacers wear/tear question

Ive heard conflicting things about spacers, some say they lead to premature wheel bearing wear while others say they are perfectly fine.

Im thinking of running conservative 10mm hubcentric spacers and was wondering if spacers will have a negative impact and cause faster wear/tear. Anyone here have issues with long term spacer use?
    Had a smooth purchase transaction with me?
    Please share your feedback

This kind of depends on why you want to use spacers. If to correct for wheels that have the wrong offset so that the tire winds up in the OE position the load on the bearings doesn't change. But if the spacers are to widen the track that does increase the load on the bearings.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Dsun View Post
      Ive heard conflicting things about spacers, some say they lead to premature wheel bearing wear while others say they are perfectly fine.

Im thinking of running conservative 10mm hubcentric spacers and was wondering if spacers will have a negative impact and cause faster wear/tear. Anyone here have issues with long term spacer use?

It all depends on the size of the spacer. Usually when you get into adapter sizes (I guess 30mm and up), then you should probably think about long term strain. IMO, I think it does strain the bearings, but in a very minute way. Ever since I got my Borbets on (et15 + 5mm spacer) I got a whining from my front wheel (was a bad bearing), which could possibly conclude the spacers do cause some type of strain.
      I wouldnt come to the conclusion that my brearing went out because of the spacer, but rather provoked it cause they were pretty old anyway.
      I wouldnt worry about it with a 10mm. Thats shouldnt be any trouble at all.
      I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

As the rotating wheels go farther away from the hub, the more stress is put onto the bearings. Pretty simple stuff to think about
        2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
        (Daily Driver)
        Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
        KW V2 Coilovers
        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

thanks for the replies, i was thinking of going spacers because I will be adding iX flares and wanted to push the wheels out a bit more to be more flush. Id rather have good bears than better looks
          Had a smooth purchase transaction with me?
          Please share your feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Dsun View Post
            thanks for the replies, i was thinking of going spacers because I will be adding iX flares and wanted to push the wheels out a bit more to be more flush. Id rather have good bears than better looks
            That sounds more like the second case that I described, which would be harder on the bearings.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
            X