Headliner won't slide back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headliner won't slide back

A fastener felt out of my sunroof and jammed it up temporarily a little while back. Sunroof has still been working fine, headliner just binds a little bit when going to full open.

I went out to the garage a few minutes ago to fix it. I popped out the clips in the front but the headliner does not want to slide back (or forward). I'm afraid I'm going to break it, so I thought I'd ask for any tips. I took a flashlight and looked between the headliner and the sunroof, but I don't really know what to look for.

I have this same problem now. Attempting to revive this extremely old thread.

I can hear the fastener rolling around up there during "spirited" driving and the roof will not open. It WILL tip up in the back though. How the heck do I access stuff if I can't open it?

Thanks!

Comment

From my experience, you don't generally without breaking things. But you can try removing the interior panel in the tilted position, provided the tiny allen retainers for the lift arms will move and you can get the clips to release without much destruction. Do note, you will bend the interior panel doing this, but you can bend it back.

Comment

roguetoaster Thank you for responding. You have confirmed my fears. Now at least I'm armed with this info when I have to dive into this project.

Comment

It's not the end of the world as most parts are still available, but whatever you do, do not break the lift mechanism for the wind deflector as that is/was completely NLA.

Also, be aware that what you hear rattling around is just as likely to be large rust flakes.

Comment

Update. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I was able to force it open as it made awful sounds, not unlike the ship did in the Titanic movie as it was sinking, lol. There actually was a torx screw rolling around from side to side and front to back. It came out of the driver's side front spot and I found it on the passenger side. One thing I did, which I THINK is an improvement, is got some of those cushions for corns on your feet and put one over every clip at the front of the liner. The original ones were shot and these are almost the exact same thing. Time will tell.
            Last edited by GoldMember; 12-11-2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X