270K... need advice for the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

270K... need advice for the future

So this past weekend i sold my eta and bought a babied 325is. When i get some pics i'll post with all of its mods. Anyway, the car has close to 270K. The guy has owned it for tha past 10 years, and took care of it. I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts me till 350K. But i do have to think about what i should do b/c eventually i'm gonna have to do something with the motor. I'm gonna stick with my m20 setup b/c of costs. So at first i was thinking about buying a rebuilt motor. But after installation it could run me close to 3 grand. Too much!! What do you guys think about buying a used head that has less then 100K and putting that in? Any other advice? I dont want to do internal mods. Thanks, Dave
    E30 Dinan Turbo

I say you drive it. Save up your cash and instead drop an M50 in when the shit hits the fan. Until just drive it cheaply.
    Im now E30less.
    sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't just buy a used head and stick it on a block with that many miles. Ny all estimated my 88 325is has 265k on it and runs great, when cold it stumbles a little but nothing major. Just change the oil every 3,000 do the timing belt pump, coolant. and just take care of it. Maybe go ahead and buy a cheap eta engine to rebuild into a 2.7i and rebuild your 325i head if the engine ever decided it needs overhualed.
      85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Drive it cheaply? Ryan tsk tsk

Hell, mine is at 207k and I take my baby to redline daily.

woo woo for BMW

Just...uh....watch out for clutch replacement.
        My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

I've heard that the blocks are good for 500K, and that the heads (if taken care of) are good for about 250 - 350K. I think, my block can survive another head. I'm never going do a M50 conversion b/c of cost. My (is) has a dinan chip, headers, exhaust, no cat, and a 4.1 lsd. I love it the way it is, and it will suite me fine for the next couple of years till i graduate college and pay off my loans. The only thing i'm gonna work on is the body to get it looking the way i want to. That said.... i'm either rebuilding the head, or buying a low miles used head. But i figure a head rebuild will run me close to the cost of a new engine. What do you guys think?
          E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

a rebuild won't cost that much.

just get the clock bored and honed, washed, painted... ~$300
            new +1mm pistons ~$500 (venolia)
            eta crank $50? or td crank $300
            recondition head (valve job, cleaning, guides, etc) ~350
            cams $~300
            new consumables (gaskets, rubber hoses, etc. $100
            port match w/ a dremel tool 0-50 (depends if u have a dremel)

that's nowhere close to 3k...

pulling and reinstalling the motor isn't that much. as long as the shop knows what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerphile
              Drive it cheaply? Ryan tsk tsk
              I have 214 and I redline is also. By drive it cheaply I mean just keep it going. Dont waste money trying to make ano otherwise stock M20 faster. If you wanna overhaul drop in an M50 or like Stu said build a stroker.
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

mine has 209 on the body but engine is probably lower and on rare occasions i will treat the car like shit but most of the time i baby it right now its just waiting for a bath which it will get sumtime this week.

Runs very strong but the outside of the car is a bit on the rough side. :?

I drove the car without a muffler the other day and i had never done that before and i sure noticed a difference besides it being loud as fuck and pissing off this one guy enough to make him run out of his house in his pajamas screaming. no joke either

Comment

Originally posted by darien28
                  a rebuild won't cost that much.

just get the clock bored and honed, washed, painted... ~$300
                  new +1mm pistons ~$500 (venolia)
                  eta crank $50? or td crank $300
                  recondition head (valve job, cleaning, guides, etc) ~350
                  cams $~300
                  new consumables (gaskets, rubber hoses, etc. $100
                  port match w/ a dremel tool 0-50 (depends if u have a dremel)

that's nowhere close to 3k...

pulling and reinstalling the motor isn't that much. as long as the shop knows what they're doing.
                  All that adds up to a little under 2K. Thats not including 50 bucks an hour for the labor..... I can get a whole rebuilt engine by a reputable company for 2K. And then 50 bucks an hour for installation.... Might as well get the engine. But tell me if i'm wrong guys... but for 3K i could most likely pull off an M50 conversion if i shop around. Wouldn't buying a used head with like 80K be more cost effective? I'm sure i could snag one for like 600ish.
                  E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

my eta has 270k miles on it, too. i take pretty good care of it and the motor runs pretty flawlessly. i'm hoping to see 400k out of the car before the motor has any real issues. changing the oil very regularily is the key to longeveity, IMO.

Comment

Ok, ok.. I have to drop the bomb on you guys. I'm sure someone out there can beat me, but for now, I OWN this thread. 370,000 miles and running like new.. Well, sort of. Leaks oil due to cracked rear main seal. But doesnt burn. You can still see factor cross-hatches on the cylinder walls. Had to replace the head due to a weak spring, but other than that i have seen 4.7kish rpms with no problems. The guys at Bimmer magazine told not to touch the car and keep a motor with that many miles running. The only advice on maintenance i can give anyone is to drive your car. If I dont decide to turbo someday, I hope to make well over 500k.

Ryan, I didnt know you had so many miles on you car. How well does it run? and does it throw a fit with the 3.35 rear? mine was screaming on the highway the other day at 85 mph, and thats still with the 2.93. What plans do you have for the future?

jon
                      Old and improved:

Comment

I have 210,300 miles on my eta.
                        About 7k ago I pulled the head, because it was leaking oil out the side. I had it rebuilt for about $300.

IMO, I wouldn't buy a head and just slap it on the motor. If you are going through the trouble of pulling the old one, just have it rebuilt. It will be alot better than the non-rebuilt one, and cheaper.

I'm also running Mobil 1, and synthetics in the diff, and tranny. I need it to last for another year or so.

I redline it often, and I even dynoed it the other day.
                        118 rwhp, 160 rwtq.

Comment

why do you want a new head on there right now? are there any problems with it currently? just wait until the engine craps out and do something about it then.

Comment

Oh dont get me wrong i'm gonna drive that car till the engine dies..... But i'm the kinda guy that likes to know his options. I just rolled over to 270K on the dot tonight. My engine runs sooo strong i'm very satisfied with it. And considering its dinan chiped, headers, exhaust, no cat, and a 4.10 lsd..... i'm loving the car. The enigne is stayin as it is for now. But hey man you never know... gotta keep my mind on my options.
                            E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

I have 270K. I drive the thing hard.

I was going to chip it and do some other mild mods but now I am not so sure.

Sold it.

Comment

Working...
                              X