Now my busted ass car also smells like ass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now my busted ass car also smells like ass

So I get in the car this morning and realize the wipers were still on from last night and there losing a fight with last nights snow fall and then they stop. I turn them off and get out to clear off the snow while it warms up. All of the sudden I notice what originally smelled like hot choclate with marshmellows but smells worse inside the car. I look at the vent by the wiper mount and smoke is coming out. I drop some snow in and it stops (at least snow is good for something), but my car smells now. I'm assuming I toasted the wiper motor. They still work, but the stench is pretty bad. From what I hear the replace procedure is no fun either....especially in the winter.

Will the car continue to smell as long as they are in there? It gets better when I don't run the heat, but that won't fly for the whole winter, and I don't think those fumes are something to be breathed in on a daily basis.

Your thoughts or sympathy....:)

Jager + Red Bull = Enhanced ladying abilities

Not sure if its the motor, if the wipers still work. Hmmmm . . .

I replaced one in the winter - it SUCKS. knucklebuster of a job.
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

Comment

You need to get one of these:

Then your car will smell like Cookies 'n' Ass. Now with more Ass!
      (Vintage Daily Show reference.)
      “one of the most beautiful BMW’s ever...”

Comment

The burnt smell would go away after a few days.
        My drinking team, has a racing problem.

Anyone have an aquarium? If you want fish, let me know.

Comment

I'm swapping in my leather interior tonight so hopefully that combined with the doors being open for an hour or two will help.

I checked the wipers again at lunch and they do still work, theyr're just a little noisier. I usually look forward to doing any work on my car, but every thread I searched makes replacing the wiper motor sound like pissing into an electrical outlet....just asking for pain. Maybe I'll wait for them to die first.

On a side note, 3 cheers for Mechanix Cold-Weather gloves.

Comment

Check the heater core and/or hoses, fittings, etc.

You're using the heater a lot - maybe the heater core's sheit or sprung a leak?

Had a htr. core leak once, wet carpet in pass. footwell - I bypassed the heater core with a hose that fit. Yeah, ghetto, but it was a total beater. Is it misting out of the defroster vents? a little mist on the inside windshield? fluid on the ground underneath?

Disclaimer: coolant is really toxic, cats like the taste - Mmm' yummy, then die. (I know you know)

I rode (-20' fk'n Chicago winter) with all windows open to a part store to be safe.
            my 2 cents might help?

rbird3d

uhh ... coolant does smell like ass ... so I'm told.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufusbird
              You're using the heater a lot - maybe the heater core's sheit or sprung a leak?

Had a htr. core leak once, wet carpet in pass. footwell - I bypassed the heater core with a hose that fit. Yeah, ghetto, but it was a total beater. Is it misting out of the defroster vents? a little mist on the inside windshield? fluid on the ground underneath?

Disclaimer: coolant is really toxic, cats like the taste - Mmm' yummy, then die. (I know you know)

I rode (-20' fk'n Chicago winter) with all windows open to a part store to be safe.
              my 2 cents might help?

rbird3d

uhh ... coolant does smell like ass ... so I'm told.
              coolant tastes sweet, and smells kinda funky. if its gas your smelling, it could be the charcole container, but it sounds like you overworked the motor... welcome to the winter working! but unlike you i scored a shop with a lift, and heat for the week. and all it costs me is a bottle of scotch:)

Comment

Originally posted by kowalski
                welcome to the winter working! but unlike you i scored a shop with a lift, and heat for the week. and all it costs me is a bottle of scotch:)
                mmm...scotch.

My coolant check light has come on intermittently the last few days, but no drop in the coolant level. Could they be connected?

I know its not gas, I already have a leak in that department. Looks like its coming from in front of the rear wheel well on the passenger side. I'm assuming its in the line, but haven't gone underneath to look yet. A lift would be very helpful, nothing like lying on your back in the snow waiting for gas to drip on your face.

Comment

Working...
                X