pedals: aligning for heel toe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pedals: aligning for heel toe

Does anyone know of a kit or DIY mod which I can buy/do to align the brake with the gas?

The rest position of the brake and clutch pedals has a limited amount of adjustment. That said, the stock position is darned close to perfect for heel/toe work. If you use the correct technique.

The correct technique has the seat closer to the dash than you might think is appropriate. The goal is to have a fairly generous bend in your knees. To heel/toe you keep your heel plated at the base of the accelerator and pivot just the ball of your foot over to the brake pedal. That will result in your knee moving to the left. The right side of your foot will still be over the accelerator and to give the engine gas you swing your knee back to the right while twisting your ankle to the right.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I do that as well as the heel on the gas and ball of the foot completely on the brake. It seems like my gas pedal is too far in.

Comment

How do you adjust the pedals? You mentioned there is a slight adjust-ability to them.

Comment

The brake pedal is connected to to the booster via a threaded connection. You can loosen the lock nut and shorten the threaded connection.

Comment

About how much adjust-ability is there? My 350z is perfect and trying to adjust to the e30 is a bit hard with how much the gas pedal is lower than the brake.

Comment

I have difficulty attempting heel toe in my e30 as well and I always just assumed it was because of my height (6'3") and lack of flexibility. I've never been able to twist my ankle/knee to the correct angle that lets me hit the gas pedal with my heel. I do sit very close to the steering wheel despite my height and the backrest nearly bolt upright. I've always thought the adjustment on the brake booster rod physically moved the brake piston as well. When I did the pedal box conversion on my e30 I had to play with that rod to get the brakes to stop engaging with the pedal fully at rest.
              1990 332i, 4 door
              2008 KTM 990 Superduke
              2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
              2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
              2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

Well, if the rod is set too long, the booster won't disengage when the pedal arm hits the stop. But adjusting the pedal lower causes no problems.

Comment

There are a few ways to do it, but the way I've found works pretty easily is resting the ball of your foot on the right half of the brake pedal and rolling the right half of your foot onto the accelerator. It's pretty easy to pull off without a ton of knee movement, and with some practice should become pretty natural.
                  Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

The E30 is so easy to heal toe its not even funny. But then again I wear a size 9
                    sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                    The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

You could also remove the rubber pad on the brake pedal and stick some skateboard grip tape on them.

I have a boosterless setup now with willwood pedals, but it's the same concept.
                      My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                        There are a few ways to do it, but the way I've found works pretty easily is resting the ball of your foot on the right half of the brake pedal and rolling the right half of your foot onto the accelerator. It's pretty easy to pull off without a ton of knee movement, and with some practice should become pretty natural.
                        This is what I do and thought what everyone does.
                        It's kind of hard to literally use your heel and toe in the limited space.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                          This is what I do and thought what everyone does.
                          It's kind of hard to literally use your heel and toe in the limited space.
                          That's something I've thought of, but never really attempted. Maybe I should give it a shot and see if I can do it a bit better
                          1990 332i, 4 door
                          2008 KTM 990 Superduke
                          2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
                          2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
                          2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

I just posted about this same issue in another thread the other day. In short, in my E30 325is, its easy to heel/toe, but in my vert... the accelerator is too low to reach using either H/T method. I wasn't sure if it was a vert thing or some adjustment was needed in the pedals (if possible).

I will look into the brake pedal adjustment noted in the thread above. Another option would be to screw an overlay onto your accelerator pedal to give it more height... so it is closer in height to the brake pedal... thereby allowing heel/toe.

If you solve, please let me know.

[Note: This is not a technique thing for me - I know the heel/toe method and can do in my other BMWs, but for my vert you would need high heels to reach the gas pedal on a heel/toe maneuver. Now if I had a softer brake pedal, I could probably pull it off because the brake would be lower... but having a soft brake pedal isn't a good thing.]

Here is my thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=269597
                            Last edited by mcaden; 11-20-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Gas pedal extender sold here, but could probably also be self-made: http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Adj...ductinfo/PA71/

Here is another thread discussing the issue from the SpecE30 site. Again, they discuss making your own block of wood, etc to build up the gas pedal. I see that Jim is also on that forum. :-)

Link here: http://spece30.com/forum/16-general-...edal-positions

Comment

Working...
                              X