Where else could be leaking oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where else could be leaking oil...

So I have this oil leak that's a pain in my ass to hunt down. Oil is coming from the passenger side. I have done oil pan gasket (twice), oil pressure switch and the oil circulation seal. What else? I think it is coming farther back like where the front subframe is... Ideas?

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Have you confirmed it is oil? It could be the steering rack. Have you checked the valve cover gasket?
    sigpic
    -----
    Zinno 87 325iS

Comment

Oil circulation seal? The red ring that sits between the block and the oil filter housing? I had a leak from that location for a long time. I changed the gasket and it still leaked. So one day I deleted the oil cooler and the filter housing and threaded the oil filter directly onto the block (like some of the 325e's). No more oil leaks from that location :)

Clean up your block where it looks greasy/oily. Examine the block after a drive and find the source from where it is leaking.

Comment

headgasket, etc.

Comment

you should clean the passenger side then throw in some uv dye. take it for a drive then just hit it with a uv light.

Comment

Its definitely oil because every 3 weeks it so it needs oil.

As for the oil circulation seal, its the housing the filter goes on. BMW sells a kit with a snap ring, cap and seal. But the leak sends to be coming from farther back than that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

my old 87's 325is had a leaky headgasket causing me to have to refill oil every 2-3 weeks. I hope that isn't the case with your car. its kind of a bitch to replace.
              98 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask37 View Post
                my old 87's 325is had a leaky headgasket causing me to have to refill oil every 2-3 weeks. I hope that isn't the case with your car. its kind of a bitch to replace.
                Ya I hope not

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

As stated earlier, throughly clean the engine and watch for the first sign of oil. UV dye & a blacklight can make the search for the leak a bit easier.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                  X