Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting issue and momentary loss of ignition loss

Hi guys,

Well, with the winter, I too have issues: first time with the E30 too. After 70,000 miles of ownership, I now have an issue when starting the car.

In the morning when it is cold (we've had sub 30 degree mornings) I'll start the car, it cranks and it starts, only to die 1-2 seconds later. Then I'll crank it again, and it will start, go into a rough idle but settle out and idle normally after a minute or so.

Then, I leave for work and start driving. I noticed that if I release my foot off the accelerator very suddenly, the tach drops down to 1000, the check engine light flickers on and I notice a momentary stall, but then it all goes back to normal like nothing happened.

All of the above is when the car is still not at the mid-way mark on the temp gauge. That tach/CEL/stall symptom will happen as often as I want until the car has about 2-3 minutes of highway driving (65-75mph).

I bought this car with 125k and now it has 192k. I've never replaced any O2 sensors or CPS: it has never needed anything. It did have a timing belt and shaft seal replacement at 185k with all new accessory belts and I also did new plugs, cap and rotor. Right not it could also use a set of motor mounts.

In the time I've had it, this has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever had (I come from Volvo-world). This is the first real issue that has ever come up with it and I'd like to resolve it so it keeps going... I'm almost at 200k!

Do a stomp test and check codes...

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. ...not that the stomp test will reveal that. But I would check that first. Smoke it if you can.

I would also clean the MAF, ICV and adjust the TPS while at it. I would also check or replace the CTS. Take it from there...

How is the overall health of your engine? At 200k I would definitely want to do a compression test and leak down test and see what's up. When it's cold and you start your car any worn gaps in your piston rings and valves will cause compression loss and hence a rough cold start.
    A cheap and sometimes cheerful solution is to Seafoam your car and try to burn off carbon deposits.

Do you have a cold start valve?
    Also try to spray some wire dryer in the distributor cap. You could possibly have condensation buildup in there...

good luck
    Last edited by EyExR; 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM.
    My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

What product do you guys recommend to clean the ICV and the MAF? Brake cleaner?

I've checked for vacuum leaks and did not find anything. Went around with the can of ether on the hoses and connections.

I did not even realize there was an adjustment ont he CPS...I'll be reading the Bentley later today.

Thank you :)

Comment

I've had this problem for a couple months now

I've fixed vaccum leaks, cleaned intake/ICV/AFM, replaced cap/rotor/plugs/wires, CPS, fuel pump relay, AFM and DME

still does it
        1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
          I've had this problem for a couple months now

I've fixed vaccum leaks, cleaned intake/ICV/AFM, replaced cap/rotor/plugs/wires, CPS, fuel pump relay, AFM and DME

still does it
          Funny you say that: we have the same car. Mine's also a 1989 Cirrusblau Metalic 325i. :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo View Post
            Funny you say that: we have the same car. Mine's also a 1989 Cirrusblau Metalic 325i. :shock:
            well thats the problem then! ;)

I think the issue is an intermitant loss or interuption of timing data to the DME

do a stomp test and report back

Comment

my thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=270938

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo View Post
                What product do you guys recommend to clean the ICV and the MAF? Brake cleaner?

I've checked for vacuum leaks and did not find anything. Went around with the can of ether on the hoses and connections.

I did not even realize there was an adjustment ont he CPS...I'll be reading the Bentley later today.

Thank you :)
                I usually use MAF cleaner on the MAF and carb cleaner on the ICV.

Adjustment is on TPS...
                My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
                  I usually use MAF cleaner on the MAF and carb cleaner on the ICV.

Adjustment is on TPS...
                  I read that wrong. Thanks for correcting :)

I'm going to research what the stomp test is.

Comment

Don't bother to do anything else until you have a smoke test done on the car! Spraying a can of ether around the engine will not reveal much. Once you eliminate the possibility of vacuum leaks then you can go on to other stuffs. To do a stomp test...turn the ignition to position 2 (do not start the car) then quickly depress the gas pedal fully 5 times...look at the check engine light and count the flashes. It would be something like 1 flash, 2 flashes, 2 flashes, 1 flash. Your code then would be 1221. You might have to do this procedure multiple times before the CEL would flash.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
                        Bump
                        I'm going to try and get this done today...I'll be cleaning the mentioned parts first and seeing how it goes.

Comment

Did you come up with anything?

Comment

I did not, but it no longer has the issue. It seems to happen more during the chilly mornings.

I will replace the original (200k old) CPS and keep watch

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                            X