Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eta to I Cam Swap???

I was wondering...

Does the I cam is the same in 318i, 323i, 325i??

or it has it's differences??

Danny
    1994 BMW 325 i/Canon Rebel XT/28-135mm IS f:3.5-5.6/Canon 50mm f:1.8

I'm not going to clown hard on you for it, but the 318i is a 4banger, where 323 and 325 are sixers....... :roll:

Anyway, from what I heard, the 323i cam is hotter than the 325i cam.

Comment

Yeah thats why i want a 323i head for my Eta. :roll:

I bet i could dust off my spare eta head and inspect it and if all is good then strip it down and then take my spare 325i head and make one of these to mount onto my eta.

Comment

hehehehe, yeah, My Bad... noobie question bout the 318...

rwh11385: what have you heard about the 323i that makes it hotter than the 325i??

Comment

Someone mentioned the cam is hotter. That is, the duration and lift are more aggressive, and would therefore be sportier and make more horsepower in the same application.

I don't know the duration for the 323, but I'm pretty sure 325i is 264.

Comment

Do you know how much HP would produce this setup??

may I be better making the 2.8 strocker conversion??

How about the cost of both procedures?

Danny

Comment

The cam alone is not going to do much at all by itself. Comparing the stroker and a cam swap is like comparing a slice of shaved roast beef to a 20 oz steak and saying which will i be better off eating. A stroker is a lot more involved and a lot more money and will yeild sufficient hp gains. A cam is cheap relativley easy to install and will do a little bit for power. It depends on what you are looking to do with your car. These are totally rough guesses but i would say with a 2.8i engine you would be looking at around the 200hp range and with the cam swap you might get an extra 5hp from your 121hp eta engine

Comment

Originally posted by lowslowe30
                The cam alone is not going to do much at all by itself. Comparing the stroker and a cam swap is like comparing a slice of shaved roast beef to a 20 oz steak and saying which will i be better off eating. A stroker is a lot more involved and a lot more money and will yeild sufficient hp gains. A cam is cheap relativley easy to install and will do a little bit for power. It depends on what you are looking to do with your car. These are totally rough guesses but i would say with a 2.8i engine you would be looking at around the 200hp range and with the cam swap you might get an extra 5hp from your 121hp eta engine
                right right. nice analogy too.

I didn't really know how to describe the 323 vs. 325 cam difference. He's right, their difference won't matter on an otherwise stock eta engine.

Now, for a 2.8 engine, the difference between 323 and 325 cam might come into play.....but then again you could just get an aftermarket one.....

Comment

so if i'm doing the 2.7 block 2.5 head swap this 323 cam would yield a more significant gain, and still run smooth?
                  Originally posted by blunt
                  can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

I am curious to get a quote on how much horse power i would be looking at if i slapped a 323i head onto an Eta engine?

Total Horsepower and such

Now with those figures in mind how much would i be looking at if i put on a 325i manifold and throttle body and to go along with all that a 325i full exhaust?

Comment

a mild 2.8l rebuild w/ stock "i" head, +1mm pistons, tuned correctly, will net you about 200bhp. do a little more like cams, some port matching w/ a dremel, better intake (M30AFM or MAF) and fpr, injectors, etc... that should net you about 200rwhp

or you can do a turbo... thus moving the costs of cams, oversized valves, and exhaust headers over to turbo manifold adapter, turbo snailshell, intercooler, and piping.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Eta
                        I am curious to get a quote on how much horse power i would be looking at if i slapped a 323i head onto an Eta engine?

Total Horsepower and such

Now with those figures in mind how much would i be looking at if i put on a 325i manifold and throttle body and to go along with all that a 325i full exhaust?
                        Just for the head, I've been told around 150-160. Yes not even as much as a 2.5i motor makes. As for the intake, im almost sure that the 323 head would have larger ports, so the 325i manifold, tb, and exhaust would probably help it a bit.

My question is, if i put a 323 head on my car, do i need to get 'i' electronics? I have a feeling that the 1.0 motronic will not work for any of these higher r3v applications. But im not a motronic tuner, so thats why i pose this question. And if that was the case, Im wondering if you could find a chip to go along with that setup
                        Old and improved:

Comment

go to my e28.com and talk to Brad on that site. He has researched the I cam swap itno the eta head and even got a guy to make a custom chip for it.
                          And yes on a 323i head swap it is better to use a 325i intake and full computer and all that. There was just some descusion though on what intake manifold to use on the 323i head http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mod_m20/message/742
                          85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

I've heard that a 323i cam wont work in a M20B25 head 'cause the 323i cam has no oil 'journals like the 325i you must swap the whole head
                            the 323i is in fact an 320i engine with a longer stroke 76.8mm instead 66 in a M20B20

1989 E30 318iS_______________________________1989 E30 325iC M-Technic I
                            1997 E36 328iT
                            1990 E30 325iT 24v SOLD
                            1989 E30 325i 2.7i M-Technic II SOLD

Comment

Working...
                            X