Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car starts and slowly dies. Anyone know why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car starts and slowly dies. Anyone know why?

So I finally completed the motor swap(m20 with lower miles) and the 5-speed swap. The car ran somewhat good at first startup, and a few more times after. Today I finally got the car all ready to be driven; bled the clutch, bled the brakes, and just small adjustments.

Get in the car, and start it up. Starts without a problem, but then it slowly started to die down. Tried to pump the gas pedal a little to keep the RPM higher, but it just died. Pressing the pedal didn't seem to do much. After that, it doesn't start anymore. Motor turns over, and seems like it's just about to start, but it just doesn't. If I let the car sit for a few hours and come back, we're back in square one. It'll start, but just die down again.

First thing I did was check the fuel pump. Seems to be working just fine.
    What else might it be?
    Last edited by mother_russia; 01-31-2013, 01:01 AM.

Tee a gauge into the supply line to the fuel and see what the pressure does in a start attempt. It really sounds like there is a fuel problem.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Wait do what? Tee a gauge?

Comment

Originally posted by mother_russia View Post
        Wait do what? Tee a gauge?
        Add a pressure gauge in line on your fuel supply line to the motor. Best to pull off the line and add a gauge with a Tee on in with more line going to the inlet. After that attempt to start the car and see what pressure you're getting. May be best with an extra individual to look at the gauge while you start the car.

Comment

Working...
        X