• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another no start ........(FIXED)

Fixed
    A) Fuel pump - external
    B) CPS
    C) Battery(battery was bad and when trying to start the car it was not strong enough. Since it was under warranty i got a new one)

86 325e
    A) checked both cps both at 940 ohm
    B) replace intank fuel pump
    C) external pump was humming before the no start problem
    D) on position 2 the car seems to turns but does not start
    E) the cold start sensor read 35 ohms
    F) the temp sensor it has some erradict reading but it reads 34.5
    G) battery is good plus i have a charger to help the battery stays at 14v
    H) put a new fuel pump realy
    I) spray some starting fuel directly into the intake and no start
    J) even with a new pump sensor i do not hear the in tank pump and the external pump kick in. No more humming from the external.
    K) finnaly i think is the starter
    L) some back ground info prior the no start it was dificult to start and in cold mornings did not start only until the weather warms up

Any help is appretiated
    Last edited by amcink; 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM.

The failure to fire with starter fluid frequently means that there is a lack of spark. That can be bad timing sensors, a DME power/ground issue, bad coil, or bad DME.

Have you checked to make sure the timing belt hasn't broken?
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      The failure to fire with starter fluid frequently means that there is a lack of spark. That can be bad timing sensors, a DME power/ground issue, bad coil, or bad DME.

Timing belt was done 300 miles. I will check the timing sensor, however the timing sensor connects to the c101? Bad coil is a good clue

Comment

Check the engine ground strap and other grounding points first. You might get lucky.

Next, do the resistance checks on the coil and make sure the coil is getting +12V when the ignition key is in the on position. No +12V at the coil could be a bad ignition switch or the wiring from the ignition switch to the coil.

If the coil and ignition switch checks out, I'd pull the DME and do all the Bentley manual checks on the pins of the connector at the DME. That way you can diagnose the sensors, injectors and other bits of the system and the engine wiring harness at the same time. If all that checks out, swap the DME if you have a spare lying around.

If still not starting - the crank position sensors can ohm out OK but still be bad. But before replacing them double check that the metal slug that triggers the sensors on the flywheel hasn't gone missing.

The E30 collection:
        1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
        1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
        1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
        1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
        1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
        1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
        1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
        2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
        2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

"Metal slug"????????

Comment

sorry - there's a more eloquent way of saying that.

Its actually some type of metal pin that is attached to the edge of the flywheel. As the pin passes the crank position sensors, the sensors pick it up and tells the DME the crankshaft position (sensor #1) and the engine speed (sensor #2).

The E30 collection:
            1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
            1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
            1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
            1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
            1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
            1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
            1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
            2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
            2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Originally posted by 101 View Post
              sorry - there's a more eloquent way of saying that.

Its actually some type of metal pin that is attached to the edge of the flywheel. As the pin passes the crank position sensors, the sensors pick it up and tells the DME the crankshaft position (sensor #1) and the engine speed (sensor #2).
              Thanks I'll check this after confirming the spark issue and coil situation.

Man it was running excellent and all of a sudden will not start. When these things run they are good. But trouble shooting is a pain and frustration
              Will keep looking for the culprit.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 101 View Post
                Check the engine ground strap and other grounding points first. You might get lucky.

Next, do the resistance checks on the coil and make sure the coil is getting +12V when the ignition key is in the on position. No +12V at the coil could be a bad ignition switch or the wiring from the ignition switch to the coil.

If the coil and ignition switch checks out, I'd pull the DME and do all the Bentley manual checks on the pins of the connector at the DME. That way you can diagnose the sensors, injectors and other bits of the system and the engine wiring harness at the same time. If all that checks out, swap the DME if you have a spare lying around.

If still not starting - the crank position sensors can ohm out OK but still be bad. But before replacing them double check that the metal slug that triggers the sensors on the flywheel hasn't gone missing.
                I just tested the coil and it's 1.1 ohms between the pos and neg. It is 5550 ohms between the secondary and the positive. Not so much between specs but close enough i guess

i will check the 12v tomorrow

I read on other post to try starting it with the lights on and the lights did not dim and again it tried to start and keeps on cranking (for lack of better word) but does not engage however this time after the third time no more crank or any noise form the starter or solenoid. I made sure my battery was full and had full power. My money is on the starter but need more test to rule out my hunch.

Comment

Ok no spark at the spark plug but found some trace of fuel however i still not hear either pump and as you can see the fuse link is fine so I think is the dme. I will look for the Bentley to see how I can test the dme
                  Attached Files

Comment

update. change the main relay and the fuel realy and now i can hear the pump when the car cranks but no start so i will change the coil $67 since it is off the recommended ohms from the bentley (even though it was starting but yes was having hard time to start)
                    Last edited by amcink; 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

New update - bought the coil from Autozone and they had a Bosch "new" in the box.
                      I tested with my multimeter and they tested with their multimeter and it was worst than the bad one I have; so I ordered it from Autohausaz, waiting to arrived

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                        .... Curious as well.
                        No E30 Club
                        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                          .... Curious as well.
                          As mention before the belt has only 300 miles. It's new

Comment

Originally posted by amcink View Post
                            As mention before the belt has only 300 miles. It's new
                            But have you checked to see that it is good?
                            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

My engine bay. The next two photos shows the area were you can see the TB and I'm poking the TB with small metal thing. Therefore NO broken TB
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X